CR2 repair command in PPC mac OS 10.8

Started by ismeit, October 13, 2013, 02:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ismeit

hello, as a newbie possibly i ask something easy but difficult for me to execute.

I took some photos of a memorial ceremony.
I made a mistake and deleted the orignal CR2 file. Then recovered the image as CR2 from the SD card.
Tonight i tried open it in Pshop CS4 and error appears -Pshop does not recognize this file-
In DPP (canon s/w) shows pixelated - i believe is an enlarged low res thumbnail @ 100%.
Other s/w does not open it as well. shows blank thumbnail (except photomechanic).

I went to a friend of mine who uses photomechanic s/w. The photo opens, thumbnail and also zooms HiRes @ 100%.
I tried extracting the JPG from this bad CR2 file, following command example in a blog and extracted ok but i see some quality problem though.

My question.
1) Which parameter i have to use so i can repair it or make it open normally ?
2) If 1) does not apply, what command i need to run to see if this file has error etc. and after feedback... what do i do next....
3) is there any GUI for powermac G5 please and where to download it ?
I have so many subdirectories and some have 2 words with space in the name and
takes so long to CD the path...

This little piece of s/w saved me tonight, even with a JPG HiRes format export !

THANNNKS a million time !

Phil Harvey

In general, ExifTool many not be used to repair damaged CR2 (or any other TIFF-based image format).

However, if the metadata is still intact, ExifTool may be used to extract embedded JEPG images as you have discovered.

I don't know of any OS X GUI for ExifTool that will do this.  You don't need to "cd" to the directory of the images though, just drag and drop the folder onto the Terminal window to process the entire folder with ExifTool.  And add -r to the command to also process any contained folders.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).