Transfer Existing Exif Data to another JPG

Started by tadej, November 04, 2021, 05:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tadej

Hi,
Sometimes it is good to have just a portion of the original image (area of interest) and save that as a new image.
I am wondering if there is any chance for an easy way to transfer/write all (or most relevant ones) Exif tags found in the original image to a new (cropped) image?
Sure, the new image size tags should reflect the new width/height. The Thumbnail image can be ignored.

StarGeek

See the second example under Copying Examples. That will copy all EXIF, IPTC IIM/Legacy, and XMP (IPTC core/ext) tags that exiftool can copy.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

tadej

Hi, the suggestion reads like a magic touch. Thanks.  :)

Phil Harvey

@StarGeek: How do you find the link anchors in the documentation so (seemingly) easily?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on November 17, 2021, 01:07:14 PM
@StarGeek: How do you find the link anchors in the documentation so (seemingly) easily?

Any time I have to look one up, I save it in my clipboard history program.

Then I just have to type the word "option" and the actual option and it's ready to paste into the post.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

@StarGeek: Wow, that's not easy. :P

I thought maybe you used some anchor display add-on, like this, but that was for Chrome, which I don't use.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

I have a Display Anchor extension as well.  That's how I get the links in the first place.  Once grabbed, into the clipboard history they go for the next time it's needed.

I also have a short script that coverts these BBCode links into the link format used on StackExchange and Reddit.

Phil Harvey