Simple command to export multiple file exif info to csv

Started by DrPaco, April 10, 2013, 03:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrPaco

Hi there!
Just trying to make it work. I can get one output file by picture but can't make the csv file containing info on several pictures contained in one folder (Photos)
I tried from the command line: C:\Users\BolducF\Desktop\exiftool.exe -csv E:\Photos > E:\Photos\test.csv
From the command line, I get nothing, and from the command line in the ExifToolGIU I get:
error message: Error opening directory >
File not found: E:/Photos/test.csv
So, it looks like it reads the files, but it's looking for the output file???
Thanks!

PS: it would be nice to get this export function from within the GUI version :-)
Francois

Phil Harvey

Hi Francois,

This should work from the command line, but you can't do redirection (with ">") from the GUI.

You said that "it didn't work" from the command line.  Was the output file empty?  What messages did exiftool give?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

DrPaco

Thanks for the info about the GUI.

As for the command line, it did work this time. My DOS is a bit rusty...

To summarized, I entered cmd in the start/run window, typed the actual line mentioned and it created the file.
After, I changed the ,csv to .txt so excel understand that I want to import correctly the file, went through the import process, and voilĂ . Way to much info on my pictures that I ever wanted! - but that's a good thing...

looking forward to the GUI version! ;-)
Thanks for all this work!!!
I'm a R programmer, so I'll create a function and run the next command from within R, to avoid  the DOS syndrome.