really dumb question - clickable EXIF reading for photo judges

Started by theiC, November 16, 2014, 04:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theiC

Hi, and forgive me.

I've browsed the FAQ etc, but lacking, as I do, a relevant PhD, I'm not sure that I understand whether ExifTool can do what I need.  Could you help, please?

I judge online photo competitions.  Ideally, I need a tool which I can access very quickly and easily (eg by right-clicking on an image on a webpage) which gives me that image's data.  Art present I'm using exifdata.com, but it can be vvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyy  sssssslllllllllloooooooowwwwww iiiiiinnnnnnndddddddeeeeeedddddd (sorry, I wouldn't normally do that, but I need to get across just how slow it is!).

Can ExifTool do this quickly?

At worst, I don't mind saving to disc and then reading the data, but it really needs to be something done on my machine, not on some remote server etc.

Thanks, sincerely, in advance, for your kind help.

theiC

Phil Harvey

ExifTool can typically extract metadata from 50-100 images per second.  The first image is the most expensive in terms of computing time because Perl is interpretive so there is some compile overhead.  There are faster utilities that return less information if you want.

You would have to store the image on the local system first though before running ExifTool.  I don't know of a browser plugin that runs ExifTool (but you may look into PhotoME because I think it may have a browser interface).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: theiC on November 16, 2014, 04:23:11 PMIdeally, I need a tool which I can access very quickly and easily (eg by right-clicking on an image on a webpage) which gives me that image's data. 

If you use Firefox, you might want to check out the FxIF add on.    It allows you to right click on the image in the Firefox and it's supposed to give you EXIF, XMP, and IPTC data if it's in the file.  Here's an example I got from a random Flickr picture.  Of course, for all the details, ExifTool would be the best.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).