Main Menu

Edit PDFs

Started by d4jna, September 23, 2013, 06:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d4jna

A while back I looked for a way to modify pdf meta data. After many trials and tribulations I ran across exiftool, which answered all my prayers. I was wondering if there was any way to use exiftoolgui to do the same thing without diving down into command line hell... I want to modify createdate/modifydate/author/title/producer/filemodifydate/fileaccessdate/filecreatedate/applekeywords/subject etc...  thanks.

Phil Harvey

Yes.  ExifTool GUI can do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

d4jna

Thanks Phil.

I figured out how to do it myself eventually. Just go to workplace manager and add new commands (-PDF:Title for example), insert into new line and then save. Then you can run them from workspace in the main window.

Problem is, I found out after looking around a bit, that the original meta data is saved in the PDF file and can be reverted at any time in the future. Thankfully craisin has made a vba script here: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,3943.15.html that will remove metadata from the pdf completely (I just had to install access first - the script needs access to excel/access/visual basics/acrobat libraries and exiftools of course). After that you can use exiftoolgui to change the pdf meta data. A bit cumbersome, but fastest way I've found to change the meta data of a PDF and be sure that the new data is the only available. Thanks for a great tool, Phil!