Update Description Metadata

Started by openskies2009, January 19, 2018, 12:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

openskies2009

I am trying to point Exiftool to a directory and sub-dir and change all the picture's metadata description to "Not Set". I am following https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=7935.0 and https://medium.com/@geneparcellano/batch-adjust-exif-time-stamp-using-exiftool-on-mac-a970a67dae2f

But cant get this to work

StarGeek

It's helpful if you let us know what you tried, as "cant get this to work" doesn't impart any information.

But taking your post at face value, use this command on a test file to see if it works:
exiftool -description="Not Set" TestFile.jpg
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

openskies2009

That's exactly what I need, but I need it to scan all of the directories and current for images. Not just one file. Ive tried the flag -r but get no such file found

cd /Users/media/Desktop/tool

exiftool "-description=Not set" -r tool
File not found: "-description=Not
File not found: set"
File not found: tool
    0 image files read
    3 files could not be read

StarGeek

Quote from: openskies2009 on January 19, 2018, 12:21:49 PM
  exiftool "-description=Not set" -r tool

Don't use fancy quotes.  Use regular quotes ".

Don't use a word processor or something similar (Google Docs) to copy/paste command from.  They will "fix" your quotes for you automatically unless you change settings.

Also, once you CD into the directory you want to process, use a dot . to represent the current directory.

So try
exiftool "-description=Not set" -r .

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

openskies2009

OK, great! Works! Now is there a way to only process image files?

StarGeek

To process only jpegs, add -ext jpg.  To add other file types, add -ext with the extension of that file.