ExifToolGUI will not load WorkSpace File Info

Started by BuckSkin, March 18, 2024, 03:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuckSkin

ExifToolGUI Version 5.16
ExifTool Version 12.25
Windows 7 Pro  64-bit

I have not changed anything whatsoever; the only thing that has changed is the behavior of ExifToolGUI.

For ages and ages, ExifToolGUI has worked fine.

I have a ton of saved WorkSpace definition files.

Just out of the blue, ExifToolGUI has stopped loading the field information contained within the saved templates.

It will change the visible fields that relate to the saved template; it just will not include the pre-saved information that is in those fields.

I have closed and restarted the program numerous times.

I have completely restarted the computer.

I have tried numerous templates.

I have tried files from different cameras and different formats and different locations within the system.

I can switch to a different WorkSpace Definition File and the visible fields will reflect the change, but none of the pre-loaded information will be there.

I can manually enter information and that works fine.

This is about to drive me up the wall; how do I fix ?

Thanks.

FrankB

Hi Buckskin,

I've read your post a few times, but still dont quite understand what's the problem. It may help if you send a screenshot and maybe one of your workspace definition files.

I do have a few thoughts dough.

- Can you execute ExifTool.exe standalone (In a CMD window), and does that produce correct output?
- Maybe some Virusscanner is blocking the execution. PLease check!
- Your versions of ExifToolGUI and Exiftool are old. I understand that does not explain why it stopped working all of a sudden. But I'm not able to 'debug' ExifTool V516, let alone solve bugs. I would consider upgrading to ExifToolGUI V6.3.0 and ExifTool 12.79 if I were you. https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/releases/tag/V6.3.0 That version I can support.
- Same for your Windows version, although that will be more difficult to upgrade.

Frank

BuckSkin

Quote from: FrankB on March 18, 2024, 04:28:04 PMHi Buckskin,

I've read your post a few times, but still dont quite understand what's the problem.

Frank

Well....., I feel like a big IDIOT !

I puzzled over my situation and decided to try hiding the saved preferences ini file so it would have to create another; so proud of myself for thinking of that and just 100% positive that would fix my problem.

I created a folder and hid the existing ini file in there and fired up the program, loaded a template, and still just blank spaces where information should be.

Hmm..mmmm...., that didn't work --- THEN, it HIT ME, I right-clicked and chose "Fill in Default Values"; and, just like MAGIC, all of my intended information appeared in the proper fields, just like it is supposed to do.....

In my defense, if there is any defense for such a bonehead move, I have been head and ears in a huge project for weeks and weeks that did not require me changing templates and obviously I had forgotten that, to make my template fill in the blanks, I must do the right-click maneuver.

I sure hope this isn't a forewarning of worse to come until I just go over the hill talking to myself.

Thank you so much for taking of your time to offer solutions and ideas.

I was just about to start creating screen-shots and posting templates and whatnot.

Again, THANKS

FrankB

I will refrain from commenting on 'Big Idiot', no doubt the font size used was big. ;D

Glad you got it sorted, Still dont understand it fully.
My advice to upgrade to the latest versions of ExifToolGui and ExifTool still holds.