No File Specified error on a Mac

Started by seekup1982, May 25, 2020, 12:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seekup1982

I've been using this about twice a year for a few years so I'm not very experienced but the below code has worked for me in the past on my Mac. But now I'm getting the "No File Specified" error and scratching my head... What I want to do is take a video file and extract the Media Created Date (not file created date) and use that to change the File Modified Date so that in my renamer program, I can rename my video files from my iPhone to the date they were created. When I download them from iPhotos, it saves the created date as the current day. Here's the code I've been using:

exiftool "-filemodifydate<CreateDate" /User/me/FolderName

or if just one file:

exiftool "-filemodifydate<CreateDate" /User/me/FolderName/video123.mov

I've also used the following:

exiftool "-filemodifydate<ContentCreateDate" /User/me/FolderName

They way I get the file name in there usually is by dragging the file or folder in from Finder and it auto-populates it for me. But now when I do any of those commands, I get "No File Specified" and it's driving me nuts... I don't really fully understand how this works anyways haha so it's tough for me to debug.

Thank you!!!!
Ben

Phil Harvey

Hi Ben,

The problem is that there is a weird unicode non-breaking space instead of a regular space character in front of the file name.  This can happen if you cut and paste from a web browser in MacOS.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

seekup1982