Redirect Progress (-progress) to the Title Bar?

Started by georgejones314, August 05, 2016, 05:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayo Baan

Hi Phil, fix seems to work well for me. The %b feature is quite funny :) I think the I and . are quite good choices as on a non-fixed width font (the default, at least for Mac), this doesn't take up much space and allows for more bars. You could, of course try some fancy unicode characters instead, but that may give more headaches than it is worth. Not sure how useful the bars are in the long run though, but I guess it is good to have options ;)
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

Thanks for your comments.  The character width was a major concern, but it bugs me that "I" and "." don't have exactly the same width as each other on the Mac, so the bar shifts a bit as it grows.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

georgejones314

Works but very slow. My 1 minute test script takes more than 3 minutes to run with  -progress: %%f. I know %title% can slow things down but not that much.

Any ways you see to optimize this feature? In MS DOS Batch I have found that using EnableDelayedExpansion is up to 10x faster than DisableDelayedExpansion for this function ... don't know if that gives you a clue or not. ... perhaps reporting progress every 10 reads instead of every time?

Anyway, thanks for giving this feature your consideration. A wonderful product overall.

Phil Harvey

That's too bad.  It is hard to believe the title command is so inefficient.

Try using %p instead of %f.  Exiftool will only update the window title if the progress changes, which it does every time for %f.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

georgejones314

%%p is fine ... 1 minute 6 seconds. This is about the hit I expected from using from %title% ...
Let me give you the entire command I use just in case there's something I'm doing that could be interfering with %%f ...
G:\software\exiftool\exiftool.exe -progress:%%p%% -L -q -q -s3 -p "¬${album;s/!//}¬~${filename;s/.mp3//;s/!/^!/}" G:\_AlbumTags>>"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\albums.txt"

Again, thanks for your attention to this feature

Phil Harvey

I can't imagine how anything could interfere, except that the file names are rather long.

I think the problem is most likely that changing the title bar for each file name is just too inefficient in Windows.

I tried this on Mac, and there is about a 10% penalty for using the -progress: option with file names.  I'll run some tests on Windows if I get a chance.

- Phil