exiftool opens, but cannot execute commands

Started by ricklevy21, July 29, 2019, 05:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricklevy21

I have a full perl distribution installed on a network drive in my office. I got a new computer (Windows10) and installed activePerl on the new machine. PATH variables are set. When running exiftool from the command line I can open up exiftool (name, synopsis, descriptions, etc is displayed) by setting the directory to the installation and typing exiftool.pl

However if I try to run exiftool on any files or give it any commands to read/write it just ignores them and displays the read me info (name, synopsis, descriptions, etc). The tool is still working normally on all other machines with access to the network drive, so it seems there is something odd with my perl installation.

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Quote from: ricklevy21 on July 29, 2019, 05:07:23 PM
I have a full perl distribution installed on a network drive in my office. I got a new computer (Windows10) and installed activePerl

just out of curiosity:

Do you use Perl also for other things or did you install it only to run ExifTool?

Was there a certain reason to choose ActivePerl?

ricklevy21

I am using it for one other application (https://github.com/psweeney-YU/reBar) other than exiftool. At one point I was using strawberry perl, but I cannot remember why I switched. I have had no problems until this week, as I have installed ActiveState on many machines in our office, Windows 10 and earlier.