Main Menu

Renaming Request

Started by JD, August 05, 2011, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Hi  - related to a post I have just made on the exiftool application  - feature request.  Very impressed with what i have seen so far. Looking for some more flexibility on batch renaming.  Is it possible to allow the user to build a new filename based on metadata - for example I already have xpkeywords populated and would like to rename files based on this and createdate. What do you think?

BogdanH

There are hundreds of tags which can be used for file renaming. Making an "universal" Windows form, where user could select any/all combinations of tags is impossible task. I could make some nice form where user could select some "most" used tags (which are?), but story wouldn't end there: there would always be someone who needs "another" tag value for filename.
This is classic example of command line usage benefits: user always decide which tags to use. And I think, Phil directed you toward very simple and effective solution. Once you become familiar with, you can adapt it to your liking/needs anytime in future.

Bogdan