ExifTool GUI enhancement: multiple file changes

Started by pb, August 04, 2011, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb

When running on mutliple files at once, it would be useful to be able to change entries in all of Exif, IPTC, and XMP areas in a single pass, rather than a separate pass for each header type, even if this might require multiple passes of ExifTool.  Right now, as far as I can tell, I have to set and run each header type separately.  What I am currently trying to do is add default copyright entries into all 3 header types.  A single pass on a large number of files is quite time consuming, so it would be nice to have the whole thing run unattended, requiring just one setup rather than 3.

BogdanH

I understand your point. But I see a reason why keep these sections separate: they are (mostly) not compatible with each other -while Exif and Iptc only support 8-bit (ASCII) characters, Xmp supports Utf-8 charset. Yes, there's the way to use Utf-8 in Iptc as well, but nobody uses that (properly). That's one of the reasons why "original" Iptc is allready history -too many limitations.
Many user allready don't know where their data is being saved. So, for example, many Photoshop/Lightroom user still believe their data is being saved into IPTC section (because some tag names there contain "IPTC" word) -in reality data is being written into Xmp.
In my opinion, synchronizing Iptc/Xmp data is waste of time. If at all, all existing Iptc data should be moved in Xmp and then Iptc section deleted. As said, it's just my opinion.
And then Exif and Xmp... IMO, there are only a few tags "worth" to populate both. In this (rare) case, use of ExifTool "direct" option in GUI solves this easy. For example:
-Exif:Copyright="C by MyName" -Xmp:Rights="C by MyName"
Now, Xmp contains some "rights" related tags, which simply don't exist in Exif...what about them? And then, I see no benefit (or reason) for having copyright notice more than once per image.
As you have probably noticed, there are many (usable) Xmp tags, which aren't covered in GUI. Well, GUI is ment for amateur/hobby photographers. And (I believe) most of them only write few notices (i.e. locations, few keywords,..). Those, who need much more than GUI does, should look after more advanced/pro software.

Bogdan

pb

Thanks for the response.

I'm not entirely sure I made myself clear.  I'm not saying that I should be able to specify a tag once and have it written into all 3 places at once.  What I am saying is I would like to be able to specify things to be written to exif, iptc, and xmp -- maybe even different things -- but have all that writing done in one pass, not separate passes with separate manual entry for each type of header.  It seems to me that if you offer the possibility of writing to those places, you should allow doing it in the most efficient way for the user.  Whether implementing that is worth the effort is your call, though.

I am not an expert in these various headers, and therefore don't know which ones are worth using and which are not worth using.  On the theory that someone else coming across my images might be no more of an expert than I am, it seems like a good idea to put the copyright notice into all 3 places, so that regardless of what brain-damaged or obsolete software someone else might be using, I maximize the probability that they will see my copyright notice.

BogdanH

Quote from: pb on August 04, 2011, 05:46:22 PM
...What I am saying is I would like to be able to specify things to be written to exif, iptc, and xmp -- maybe even different things -- but have all that writing done in one pass, not separate passes with separate manual entry for each type of header.
I understand now... and it makes sense. When I started with GUI, my idea was, that users not only blindly enter all possible metadata, but also understand what they're actually doing and have a choice where data is being saved.
Let's take locations tags, for example: where would you like to store them? Everywhere where possible? In this case, are you ready to sychronize them your entire life? Sounds like metadata slave... That's why I said, one must decide (for one place) where to store metadata -it makes metadata life much easier, IMO.

But, in general, your idea (one "execute" for all changed metadata) makes me seriously rethinking all this. Won't happen much in next months, though... but something will happen in this regard. Inbetween, I'll take time and observe where metadata is going.

...On the theory that someone else coming across my images might be no more of an expert than I am, it seems like a good idea to put the copyright notice into all 3 places, so that regardless of what brain-damaged or obsolete software someone else might be using, I maximize the probability that they will see my copyright notice.
I undrestand your standpoint. And hopefully you don't see my writting as I'm arguing with you. All I'm trying to do, is sharing my personal view on this. Which is:

First is Exif section -if there's a tag that suit your needs, then use that tag first. Everybody will see it, guaranteed. If someone can't (isn't capable to) see Exif data, then duplicate/triplicate it's value in other sections won't help much.
In all other cases use Xmp section.
If you're affraid, "someone" might not be capable to read Xmp data, then think: big companies, like Adobe and Iptc organisation are forcing Xmp standard -in future, who can afford not being able to read Xmp metadata?

Greetings,
Bogdan

pb

Thanks for the info and seeing my viewpoint.  My general theory is that the guy doing the coding gets the final say, unless I'm paying him.  But, I sometimes still have strong opinions.  I'm very glad you separated the different header types, thus avoiding a lot of confusion.

In general, other than copyright,  the small amount of data I enter, I enter into exif.  I rarely have any need to do even that, though, or to look at anything other than exif.  Usually the only thing I need to add is copyright.  (Unfortunate the cameras don't generally allow you to set that in the camera, which would actually be the logical place to do it.)