metadataworkinggroup dissolved?

Started by obetz, April 10, 2019, 05:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obetz

Hi,

does anybody know what happened top http://www.metadataworkinggroup.com/ ?

Oliver

Phil Harvey

First of all, it was .org, not .com

But the .org site site is down now.  I haven't heard that they have dissolved, so I'm hoping it is just a temporary outage.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Hi Phil,

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 10, 2019, 07:07:05 AM
First of all, it was .org, not .com

IIRC, both were used, even mwg_guidance.pdf itself contains links to the .com site.

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 10, 2019, 07:07:05 AM
But the .org site site is down now.  I haven't heard that they have dissolved, so I'm hoping it is just a temporary outage.

If I'm not mistaken, it's been that way for weeks at least.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

It could be that .com was used, but I don't see any references to this in the most recent version of the documentation other than being used in the XMP namespace URI, which isn't meant to be a valid URL.

I have sent an email to one of the MWG group leaders to ask about the status.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Ooops.  The mail bounced.  The person is no longer with Adobe.

Hence is the fate of most of my contacts at Adobe.  There seems to be a very high employee turnover rate there. :(

I'll try emailing another one.

- Phil

obetz

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 10, 2019, 08:21:51 AM
It could be that .com was used, but I don't see any references to this in the most recent version of the documentation other than being used in the XMP namespace URI, which isn't meant to be a valid URL.

Correct, I didn't look at this thoroughly. Other sites (Adobe, IPTC, Wikipedia) link to the .com domain, the DNS yields the same IP address for both sites.

In the mean I found https://photometadata.org/META-Resources-Metadata-Links-and-Resources-Guide telling us the MWG site being "offline after September 2018".

That's a loss. MWG may have screwed up some details, but overall they provided a good basis for dealing with metadata.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

It seems really short sighted to me if they developed a standard in 2010 only to abandon it 8 years later.

- Phil

StarGeek

Checking the Whois on metadataworkinggroup.com, the record shows an update on March 25.  The domain reg is set to expire in June.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

OK.  The MWG is still alive.  I got this message back:

QuoteThe MWG work is ongoing and still holds copyright and IP related to the MWG spec and technologies.

The public website is down for now, but we hope to have it back up soon.

- Phil

obetz

Many thanks for checking and reporting, Phil!