unable to add comments to the comment field.

Started by Gordon, October 14, 2012, 02:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Hi,

I looked here:
http://www.exiftool.org/faq.html
And this didn't work, no error message:  exiftool "-comment<=file.txt" image.jpg

This works:
exiftool(-copyright='©  ME.COM' -P -overwrite_original).exe "-XPcomment<=comment.txt" *.jpg

I've tried this and it works, however, if the sentence is long it'll the sentence does not line wrap, instead the sentence gets truncated with elipses like this: "this image is licensed to shirley..."  If i double click on the comments field in XP then and only then it would show the whole sentence. Is there anyway to make it so that xp will obey the line wrap?  Is there another coment field?

Thanks,
Gordon

Phil Harvey

Hi Gordon,

Quote from: Gordon on October 14, 2012, 02:29:40 PM
this didn't work, no error message:  exiftool "-comment<=file.txt" image.jpg

Try adding -v or -v2 to the command to see what is happing.  Without more information I can't tell you why this doesn't work.

QuoteThis works:
exiftool(-copyright='©  ME.COM' -P -overwrite_original).exe "-XPcomment<=comment.txt" *.jpg

I've tried this and it works, however, if the sentence is long it'll the sentence does not line wrap, instead the sentence gets truncated with elipses like this: "this image is licensed to shirley..."  If i double click on the comments field in XP then and only then it would show the whole sentence. Is there anyway to make it so that xp will obey the line wrap?  Is there another coment field?

The sentence is truncated where?  When extracting using ExifTool?  I think this is unlikely, so maybe you are talking about viewing this with some Windows softare.  If so, I don't know if I can help.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).