Noob here, need help with Takeout

Started by Davidbazon, March 22, 2022, 12:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidbazon

So, summary - My storage has ended and I want to leave Google Photos and, obviously, take my library with me. I noticed that Google Takeout likes to shred the metadata and put it in a separate .json file and for my phone gallery to organize my photos correctly, it needs that metadata. Metadata Fixer is a paid program which uses ExifTool, free software. I'm not willing to pay for a program which is a GUI on top of ExifTool, and I need help. I've tried very many commands I found online with ExifTool and none worked correctly. I know, you're probably tired of seeing this topic but I really want an up-to-date tutorial on how to organize and merge the metadata extracted from the .json into the actual photo.
Here's some info:
OS - Windows 10
ExifTool version - 12,40 as shown in the folder name
~12.000 photos I need to process

Thanks everyone.

StarGeek

Quote from: Davidbazon on March 22, 2022, 12:42:23 PM
I noticed that Google Takeout likes to shred the metadata and put it in a separate .json file

It does not.  The metadata in the file is exactly the same as when you uploaded it.  The only reason you need to try and import data from the json files is if you entered data on the Google website.

Otherwise, see here.  Use CMD to run the commands, not PowerShell, as PS is not very exiftool friendly.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).