Setting .mp4 File ‘Year’ Property Value?

Started by Crusty, September 13, 2020, 03:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusty

Hi there,

I've been hunting around for a while now for a solution to this, but have not found it yet. I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a bunch of movies in .mp4 files that I'd like to be able to apply a 'Year' released to so that I can sort by that field in Windows Explorer. I can manually set the year using Windows Explorer (see attached image), but I have no idea which ExifTools option to use to do that. If I use the following command line...

exiftool "Only Fools & Horses Big Brother, Comedy, 1981 - 7.9.mp4" -Comment="7.9- Comedy" -Title="Only Fools & Horses, Big Brother" -year=1980 -overwrite_original

...this sets the Content Create Date to 1981...

Encoder                         : Lavf54.63.104
Year                            : 1981
Comment                         : 7.9- Comedy
Content Create Date             : 1980
XMP Toolkit                     : Image::ExifTool 11.65

...but it's the 'Year' property I'd like to set. Is there an ExifTools option to set that? If so, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Chris.

Hubert

Hi,

According to the QuickTime tags reference https://exiftool.org/TagNames/QuickTime.html, Year is a string, not a date or number.

It works for me if I quote it:

exiftool -year="1980" /path/to/the/file.mp4

Cheers,

H

Crusty

Thanks for the reply H, but that doesn't work for me...

Phil Harvey

I really don't understand what you are doing.   This works to set the "Year" tag:

> exiftool a.mp4 -year=1980
    1 image files updated
> exiftool a.mp4 -year -G1 -a
[Keys]          Year                            : 1980
> exiftool -ver

Perhaps see FAQ 3.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

It is a FAQ 3 question.  Setting Year in Windows Properties->Details does not set the Quicktime:Year tag, nor does it set the Microsoft:Year tag, which would have been my guess.  Instead, it sets the Quicktime ItemList:ContentCreateDate tag.

That leads to another problem.  Windows will only accept 4 digits through the Properties window, but exiftool expects a complete timestamp, which seems reasonable to me since it is ContentCreateDATE, not ContentCreateYEAR.  So, you have to add a hashtag to the end of the tag when setting it.

exiftool -ContentCreateDate#=1999 FILE.mp4
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Crusty

You, sir, *are* a *Star* indeed! Sooper dooper #FixedIt. Many, many thanks :-)