Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMM

System info: Linux Mint based on Ubuntu 16.04, and Windows 10, both 64 bit
Version info: 12.09 on both systems
Command line (linux) find . -name A\*.JPG -exec exiftool -w %8f.txt {} \;
Console output (per file): One file created
Link to Linux output: http://www.mikemurphy.nl/Graphics/ExifBug/A6D00952.txt
Link to W10 output: http://www.mikemurphy.nl/Graphics/ExifBug/A6D00952_W.txt
Link to underlying photo; http://www.mikemurphy.nl/Graphics/ExifBug/A6D00952.JPG

Observed misbehaviour: the parsing of Release Mode 2 appears to drop any qualifier that may be present.  Instead of "Continuous Low" it reports just "Continuous".

Incidentally, can I suggest it would be handy to include the release level of exiftool in the output?  I have spent quite a lot of time looking at output from online sites that are running obsolete releases!

Hope this is enough info
Mike

Phil Harvey

Hi Mike,

A few comments/questions:

1. Your W10 output file doesn't appear to exist on your server.

2. ExifTool does provide a version number in the output.  Is this what you are calling release level?

3. The ReleaseMode2 in your Linux output shows "Continuous Low", but you stated that it reports just "Continuous".  Is the Windows output different, and is this why you reported this problem?

4. You shouldn't have to use "find".  Use the ExifTool "-ext jpg" to process only JPG files.

- Phil

Edit: I found the W10 output on your server with the extension .html instead of .txt.  The output was the same as for Linux, so I don't understand why you say there is a bug in the Linux version.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

DutchMM

Phil, you are quite right!    I am going cross-eyed trying to analyse about 500 photos, and am also a bit rusty with my scripting.  Is there any way of detecting and reporting a value that exiftool cannot translate?  I ask because (and this may be part of the reason for my getting confused) most of the 500 were shot at Continuous Advance Mid, Hi, or Hi+.

And yes, when I said release level, I meant version number - and you're going to tell me it's at the top of the file; true, but not reported by the version on apotelyt.com!

Thanks for your help!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: DutchMM on November 02, 2020, 03:05:21 PM
Is there any way of detecting and reporting a value that exiftool cannot translate?

exiftool FILE | grep Unknown

QuoteAnd yes, when I said release level, I meant version number - and you're going to tell me it's at the top of the file; true, but not reported by the version on apotelyt.com!

ExifTool has always reported this.  Either they aren't running the distributed ExifTool, or they are suppressing the version number somehow.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).