Error: [minor] MakerNotes offsets may be incorrect (fix or ignore?)

Started by BigBlueBeast, December 27, 2010, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlueBeast

See this alot, my question can I set a parameter in the ExifToolGUI.ini that would set the response to be either fix or ignore?

Dave

BogdanH

Hi Dave,

I know this warning message exist in ExifTool, but I never seen it when reading/editing my own image files. Without doing much research... when does this message appear? When you edit and save metadata? Or just when viewing metadata?
I don't know how to "force" file to show this error... can you post one jpg example here, so I can tryout? If possible, I'll be glad to implement some "friendly" solution in GUI.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

The error occurs when reading or writing an image with corrupted makernote offsets.  The -F option attempts to fix the incorrect offsets, or since it is a minor error it can be ignored with the -m option.  See FAQ number 15 for more details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction. I will try to implement that in "new year" release :)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Dave,

What version of exiftool are you running?  Reading this again I notice that the warning is slightly different than expected.  I would suggest updating if this is the case.  This may even solve your problem if you are using a Canon camera because the fix is now automatic for many Canon models.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

One question: Let's assume there's something wrong with Makernote (offset) and one just wish to change some non-Makernote tag (i.e. Exif or Xmp). Will ExifTool refuse to modify this tag without -F (or -m) option? Or does -F (and -m) affect only when modifying Makernote tags?

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

-F only affects the command if there are incorrect makernote offsets.  However, -m will ignore any minor error, of which there are many sources.

- Phil

BigBlueBeast

I have found a workaround to the problem that fits with my workflow in that Geosetter application seems to implement the -m.

As for versions, using exiftool 8.42 along with exiftool gui 403

Between the the tools am able to accomplish what I need to to restore missing information to my HDR/Panoramic images.

Can provide you with one of affected files if still wanted.

Dave