Losing focus on selected filename

Started by KevinFuhr, January 24, 2011, 12:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinFuhr

Excellent tool, thank you.  One question/observation: how do you know which file you are looking at?  When I select a file in the middle pane, the EXIF data is displayed on the right pane, but when I click the buttons on the top of the EXIF pane the focus of the file in the middle pane disappears.  The only way to determine which file I am looking at was to find the filename in the EXIF data.  Is it possible to hold the focus on the selected file or maybe display the file name somewhere on the window (next to thumbnail).  Thanks again for an excellent product.

Kevin

BogdanH

Hi Kevin,

I'm confused about what you're saying... Please see this screenshot, where "Canon 450D.CR2" file is selected:
https://exiftool.org/gui/img/etgui01.png

Now, no matter what button (Exif, IPTC, XMP,... or [ ^ ]) in right Metadata pane you click on, file in middle FileList pane remains selected (as seen on screenshot).
If more than one file is selected, then only metadata of first/top selected file is shown. And again, if you switch between Exif, IPTC, XMP,..etc. view, then all selected files remain selected.

At this point it's hard to help you, because here on Win7 (and before on WinXP), GUI works as just described. Have you tried on another PC?

Bogdan

KevinFuhr

Interesting, I am using Windows XP and as I click the EXIF buttons the selected file focus is removed.  Attached is a screen shot.  As shown, the file being displayed is the one ending in IMG_0819.jpg.

Regards, Kevin.

BogdanH

Hi Kevin,

I believe you, what you're saying (thanks for screenshot anyway). As mentioned, because here I have no such problem, I don't know what I should look for to repair in GUI.
Please, try on another PC and let me know -thanks.

Bogdan

herb

Hello Bogdan,

I use ExifToolGUI 4.05 and I have the described problem both on a Windows 2000 and on a Windows XP system.

Sometimes I also did some GUI programming with VisualBasic 6.
In my case the property HideSelection of the VB6 listview control defines whether a selected row is still marked when the control looses the focus.
Maybe this helps.

Best Regards
Herb

BogdanH

Hi Herb,

Thank you for confirming this... and for hint about loosing control focus! As it seems, you're right: I must have been changed this setting unaware (tried something, rebuilded something, etc.).
I've changed this property now, but can't be sure how much difference it makes on WinXP/2000 -on Win7, I can't notice much difference (it worked before and it works now). Updated GUI v4.06 is available for download.

Please let me know, if issue is solved. Thank you.

Bogdan

herb

Hello Bogdan,

thanks for the corrections in the new version 4.06.
It works fine now.

But please allow the following comment:
In case of more than 1 file is selected, and in case of a very long filelist which has been scrolled, so that not all selected files can be displayed within the visible part of the listview, it would be very very helpful to have the filename for which the metadata are displayed within e.g. the right panel of the statusbar.

Thanks and best regards
Herb

KevinFuhr

Hello Bogcan & Herb,

Thanks very much for isolating the issue. 

Also, at the top of the right hand pane it used to state that Exiftool was executed now it states ----IFDO ---- .  What does this represent?  If it is possible, I would agree with Herb about putting the filename at the top of the right hand pane.

Regards & Thanks again, Kevin

BogdanH

Hi,

About showing filename of which metadata is being displayed: will be in next update.

Exiftool executed appears only in case when file doesn't contain any metadata in selected section (Exif, IPTC, XMP,..). This way, user is notified, that Exiftool did read file, but found nothing there -otherwise, metadata pane would be just blank.
Lines containing ---IFD0---, ---ExifIFD---, etc., divide and describe subsections of particular metadata section (Exif in this case). These subsections (=Groups) are standardized and well documented also on Exiftool's pages. Exiftool is capable to show metadata that way and I've decided to use this option, because metadata is displayed "nice" organized (and particular tags can be found easier).
That is, this is GUI's default behaviour since I can remember.

Bogdan