jExifToolGUI: A java/Swing Windows/Linux/MacOS graphical frontend

Started by hvdwolf, June 28, 2020, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvdwolf

My macbook is too old to run Catalina, but I will check with another user.
And maybe other users will react as well.
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

hvdwolf

Released version 1.5.2

releases: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/releases
full changelog: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/blob/master/Changelog.md

Changelog 1.5.2

• Fix: (old) error in exiftool detection when exiftool is removed or moved to other folder.
  • "Fix" (Linux KDE/QT): KDE/QT based window managers deliver "strange" strings for imagewidth and imageheight out of exiftool. The values are not integers and can't be converted to integers either. Now using java based approach, and better "error trapping" in case it still errors out.
  • Logging to file enabled. In the folder where jExifToolGUI is started, a folder "logs" is created where log files are stored per jExifToolGUI session. This does not work for MacOS bundles. Therefore the logs are written inside a logs folder into the user HOME folder. Also the linux deb version writes to the user HOME folder. In case of issues extensive logging can be started to pinpoint the issue.

See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

acnomad

Another user recommended I try jExifToolGUI and I visited the link but cannot seem to get it installed or working on my MBP running Catalina. The folder jExifToolGUI-master downloads and unzips, but I do not see any executable file to launch the GUI, only a Terminal window. I feel I must be doing something wrong. Please advise.

Andy

StarGeek

I don't have any experience with macs, but if you downloaded the jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2-with_jre.dmg.zip file, then one with the runtimes built in, you should be able to run it with either the jexiftoolgui file or jExifToolGUI.jar file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

acnomad

I downloaded the ZIP from https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/tree/1.5.2
which unzipped itself into a folder named jExifToolGUI-1.5.2

Within that folder, the only executable file is gradlew.

Digging around (5 subfolder levels) revealed an executable file named jexiftoolgui, but that only opened a Terminal window with this output:

Last login: Wed Sep  9 12:31:51 on ttys001
/Users/andy/Downloads/jExifToolGUI-1.5.2/packaging/macos/jExifToolGUI.app.base/Contents/MacOS/jexiftoolgui ; exit;

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
ANDYS-MBP:~ andy$ /Users/andy/Downloads/jExifToolGUI-1.5.2/packaging/macos/jExifToolGUI.app.base/Contents/MacOS/jexiftoolgui ; exit;
logout
/Users/andy/Downloads/jExifToolGUI-1.5.2/packaging/macos/jExifToolGUI.app.base/Contents/MacOS/jexiftoolgui: line 6: /Users/andy/Downloads/jExifToolGUI-1.5.2/packaging/macos/jExifToolGUI.app.base/Contents/MacOS/jre/Contents/Home/bin/java: No such file or directory
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

StarGeek

Try grabbing the jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2-with_jre.dmg.zip file from the releases page.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

acnomad

That gets me a little farther, but still isn't launching the program. The icon splashes on the screen for a moment and Java launches, but then both disappear.

hvdwolf

Stargeek pointed you to the right place: the releases page.

Your first download was the source code.

This is a java application which means it needs java to be able to run.
Did you really download the jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2-with_jre.dmg.zip?
or did you download the jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2.dmg?

The first one ("with_jre") comes with java embedded inside the bundle.
The second one (jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2.dmg) is only the bundle. It means that you need to have java version 8 or newer installed on your system.
If you open a terminal and type java -version, you immedediately see if you have java installed and which version.
If it is not available, or too old: Simply download the jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2-with_jre.dmg.zip.

Did you also take a look at the "short "installation" instructions" which are mentioned with every release?

(Anyway: For the "simple" bundle I should build in some error trapping that detects there is no java installed, or a  too old version on the system)

acnomad

Yes, I mistakenly downloaded the source code the first time, then after StarGeek pointed me back to the releases page, I scrolled down and found both links to the MacOS zip files. I do have Java running (and checked to confirm) and I did follow the "short installation instructions." I do then get the dmg and the icon for jexiftoolgui, but when I click on it, Java runs momentarily, then disappears, and the application does not open.

hvdwolf

Quote from: acnomad on September 09, 2020, 03:56:49 PM
Yes, I mistakenly downloaded the source code the first time, then after StarGeek pointed me back to the releases page, I scrolled down and found both links to the MacOS zip files. I do have Java running (and checked to confirm) and I did follow the "short installation instructions." I do then get the dmg and the icon for jexiftoolgui, but when I click on it, Java runs momentarily, then disappears, and the application does not open.
Please mention which version you downloaded ("both links"? Does that mean you tried both?)
and which java version you are running. You do not mention that.
That makes it really hard to troubleshoot.

acnomad

I downloaded:
jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2-with_jre.dmg.zip
jExifToolGUI-x86_64-macos-1.5.2.dmg

I already had Java 14.0.2 installed

I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.6 on a MBP 15-inch mid-2015

hvdwolf

Did you allow jExifToolGUI to run?
Safety/Security on MacOS is normally that only programs downloaded from the app store are allowed to run.

(Maybe something I should add to the installation (micro) instructions)

acnomad

Yes. As you pointed out, Mac doesn't like third party software, but I did right click to open and manually permitted the app to run. It did begin to launch, with the app graphic splashing momentarily on the screen, and I also noticed that Java activated briefly, but then nothing happened beyond that.

hvdwolf

There should be logs file in your <home>/logs folder. Normally jExifToolGUI writes "light" logs, but that can be extended.
Anyway, the log files are named jexiftoolgui_YYYYmmDD-HHMM.log like for example jexiftoolgui_20200910-1608.log.
Is there anything usefull in it? Can you attach one or more logs, if there is/are any? (maybe the program exits before the first log line is written)

acnomad

Here are the four most recent logs.