OSM map display blank with v6.2.9

Started by kevinf, February 19, 2024, 07:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinf

Hi Frank,

I have downloaded v6.2.9 but unfortunately I have an issue with the OSM map. I have the "enable internet access" checked, but I do not require any of the geocoding dialog features. When I go to the OSM map tab for a photo, pressing "Home" correctly brings up the map and my home location. However, when I click "Show on map" for a photo, the map just shows a blank screen. No messages in the log window to help.

I have reverted to v6.2.7 and the functionality works as expected, with the EXIF coordinates locating the photo on the map in the correct place. I have looked through Github in case there was another tweak required but cannot see it. I've alos installed the latest exiftool executable just to be up to date!

Regards, and again thanks for your tireless work!

FrankB

Hi Kevin,

I haven't got the answer, but a few thoughts/questions

I was able to reproduce it this morning shortly. Then all of a sudden it started working again!
I suspect a (temporary) problem with one of the geocode providers. Because:
- Showing the HOME position does not call that code. It only displays the map.
- But 'Show on Map' calls upon the geocode providers. 

Could you provide your INI file, or a screenshot of the Preferences tab page GeoCoding to be sure?
Please try again V629. If it works now the problem was temporary, but I will have to look into better error handling. If not I can send you an updated version showing more debug info.

Frank

kevinf

I've tried again now (20 Feb 2024 1900 UTC) but still v6.2.9 fails to show the position on the map, but v6.2.7 consistently does. I forgot to mention I use the 64-buit version but you'll know that from the INI filename below.

Here's a screenshot of the preferences as requested, plus the INI file as a special bonus :)

PH Edit: Removed .ini file for privacy

FrankB

Thanks for this Kevin.

I'm puzzled. First because it is not working. Second because the name of the INI file is not correct.

I should be ExifToolGuiV6.ini and is saved in %APPDATA%\ExiftoolGui (Just paste that in Windows Explorer)

This part is missing from your ini file:
[GeoSettings]
GeoCodeUrl=https://geocode.maps.co
OverPassUrl=https://overpass-api.de/api
GetCoordProvider=0
ThrottleGeoCode=500
GetPlaceProvider=1
ThrottleOverPass=10
OverPassCaseSensitive=1
OverPassCompleteWord=1
OverPassLang=default
CountryCodeLocation=1
GeotagMode=1
GeoCodeDialog=1
ReverseGeoCodeDialog=1
GeoCodingEnable=0

[GeoProvince]

[GeoCity]

But that's probably not causing the error. If I create an exe that shows more debug info. Could you test it for me?

FrankB

Hi Kevin,

I'm on to something. Is one of your coordinates negative? Or both? West or South?

Could you post them? If you're concerned about privacy send me a PM.

Frank

FrankB

Hi Kevin,

Sent you a PM with a downloadlink. Could please download and try that for me?

Thanks,
Frank

kevinf

Sorry for the slow response - I've replied to your DM. And this is the INI file in the directory you referred to. I must also have a hangover directory from earlier releases.

Yes, I'm in the southern hemisphere, so latitude south (negative) going on here all the time!

FrankB

Thanks Kevin,

By now I have it figured out. There is a bug in V629 with negative values for coordinates! (As you know)

Will be fixed in V6.3 that I expect to release end of Februari.

Please remove the INI file from your post, if you dont want to share your personal settings.

Frank