How to insert exif:ImageDescription as addition to the FileName

Started by John Addis, August 15, 2022, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Addis

I now know that ACDSee isn't finding it, but neither will Elements.  I checked the last item I tested  - 2016 JA_18370.jpg with Elements 2018 and it's Caption was the same as before the test, should have been 2016 JA_18370.  I had copied it backup before any changes were made, so it did not have the ItemDescription as part of the Filename.

So neither Elements or ACDSee could find it.  I suspect that Photoshop or Lightroom, might be able to find  IFD0:ImageDescription.  Whether it could be available me without going thru a bunch of menus, but I can not afford them.

XnViwMP does not show the value of  IFD0:ImageDescription.

Any way to send you the test file 2016 JA_18370.jpg? and you could find where IFD0 is?

John Addis

Now I know sort of where IFD0 put the imagedescription.
  In the properties file for the file, but not where I could find it.2022-08-23_151904-small.jpg

John Addis

More research.

I changed the test file name to 2016 JA_18370 test 08-23 -- x.
I ran exiftool
2022-08-23_192037 exiftool updating-50%.jpg

ONLY change was in the file properties.
2022-08-23_184639 file property after-50%.jpg
I had downloaded an IPTC-XMP program and ran it on the test file before and after.

Nothing changed on IPTC or XMP, so I only show one set of photographs.
This is where the IPTC data is located (IPTC(7) Descr)
2022-08-23_190326 IPTC in layout-50%.jpg

This is what I changed it to, and it stayed the same after exiftool.
2022-08-23_185555 IPTC(7) Caption-Abstract-50%.jpg

This is where the XMP-dc data is located (XMC-dc 201)
2022-08-23_190544 XMP-dc in layout-50%.jpg

This is what I changed it to, and it stayed the same after exiftool.
2022-08-23_205127 XMP-dc Description-50%.jpg

Ran Elements after
2022-08-23_190957 Elements IPTC after-50%.jpg

Ran ACDSee after
2022-08-23_191432 ACDSee IPTC after-50%.jpg

The filename had not been inserted, anywhere.
There was no evidence that XMP-dc was ever used.
BUT the Descriptions had IPTC(7) in front portion, the same as before.

Perhaps, ImageDescription could update 3 fields, instead of the two that it now updates? (Property-Titles, Property-Subject, & IPTC-Caption-Abstract)

I have copied the descriptions from all my filenames to the IPTC description.  ACDSee lets me copy-change the filename and post it to the IPTC Description.

StarGeek

Quote from: John Addis on August 23, 2022, 09:36:14 PMPerhaps, ImageDescription could update 3 fields, instead of the two that it now updates? (Property-Titles, Property-Subject, & IPTC-Caption-Abstract)

Writing to ImageDescription will only create/update the EXIF:ImageDescription and will update the XMP:ImageDescription if it exists, which is unlikely as it is a rarely used tag.  It will not update any other tag.

See this post for what tags Windows will read/write in the Properties->Details window.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

John Addis

StarGeek,

Thank you for helping/DOING the work to transfer what I thought, was the description that I see in IPTC.  Now that I know that ADOBE does put the description in 3 places.  ImageDescription copied the Properties File Description, and also replaced it.

Then there is not a way to replace the IPTC Description.

Then it is a good thing that I used ACDSee to update the remaining IPTC Descriptions.

Lightroom did well on the IPTC Description, it is too bad that it is an annual pay product.  Wonder why Adobe does not discount to seniors, as well as students?