Create GPX file from NMEA log

Started by dzeek, August 05, 2020, 01:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzeek

I have NMEA log files that I need to use with a program that only accepts GPX files. Is there a way to convert the NMEA logs to GPX files with ExifTool?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

osakahk2009

Hi,
Have you tried the freeware gpsbabel.
Be aware that if your NMEA log is from Canon GP-E2, it may not work properly.
It is because $GPRMC and $GPGGA sequence are switched.

dzeek

Quote from: osakahk2009 on August 07, 2020, 02:11:13 AM
Hi,
Have you tried the freeware gpsbabel.
Be aware that if your NMEA log is from Canon GP-E2, it may not work properly.

Thank you.

I have tried gpsbabel. Unfortunately, I need to use a custom style to get the GPX format needed and the gpsbabel UTC time output field format does not support milliseconds.

The NMEA logs are from Juniper Geode.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: osakahk2009 on August 07, 2020, 02:11:13 AM

I've been working with NMEA geopositioning systems since 1994, and the one thing that has always bothered me is that the order of the sentences is not specified.  They really should have provided a "paragraph end" marker.  For RMC and GGA it is fairly easy because they both contain a timestamp, but for other sentences it can be ambiguous.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).