Main Menu

A very newbie..

Started by Kevin Turner, May 28, 2019, 06:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Turner

OK, Installed and running, but I cannot edit any fields? is their some mojo I am missing?

Hayo Baan

Can you give us an example of what you are trying to do?
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Kevin Turner

OK, Yes that was a rubbish question. Sorry all. Right, I am looking to edit some of the metadata fields for video and for images.

Phil Harvey

Hi Kevin,

You type the ExifTool commands in a cmd.exe window (or Terminal window on the Mac).

The command will look something like this to write (for example) the XMP Subject field:

exiftool -xmp:subject="test subject" test.jpg

Read FAQs 2 and 3 for help figuring out the tag names you want to write.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Kevin Turner on May 28, 2019, 07:54:24 AM
I am looking to edit some of the metadata fields for video and for images.

Learning about the various metadata types is a whole steep learning curve unto itself.  Exiftool knows about over 20k metadata tags (though it can't edit all of them).  And every software program out there doesn't necessarily stick to the standards and interprets metadata whatever way they like (what the hell are you doing, Windows!).

So even now, your question is way to general.  We can certainly help with specifics, such as I want X text in Y field when I upload to google photos/import into Lightroom/etc.  But we don't have access to everything out there, so most often we can offer you advice on how you can figure out how to work your data with your programs.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).