May I help translating into Italian

Started by mlocati, July 19, 2012, 04:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlocati

Hello

I've seen that there are some tag description that is not translated into Italian. How can I help with translations?

Ciao!
   Michele

Phil Harvey

Hi Michele,

Sorry for the delay in responding... I've been on vacation.

Thanks for the offer!  The only problem is carving out a chunk of the tag namespace that isn't too large for you.

Perhaps a good place to start is with EXIF tags.  You could try adding the "it" language where is it missing in the following output file, and sending me the result.  I'll then add it to exiftool:

exiftool -listx -exif:all > out.xml

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mlocati

Translating that xml isn't that fast: finding missing translation it's a mess... So I wrote a little app (in C# Express 2005) to edit the xml file (see the attachment).
Some technical info about the app:
- I started writing the data structure of the xml to be translated, creating the taginfo.xsd file
- I wrote a script (xsd-to-cs.vbs) that (using xsd.exe) created a class that can contains the xml data (taginfo.cs) and cleans it a bit
- I wrote the winform app that makes use of this class.

In the attached file you can find the c# source code and a ready-to-use .net 2.0 executable (in the folder bin\Debug).

Now I'll start the Italian translation ;)

Ciao!
   Michele

===
EDIT
Removed the attachment since it's an older version: see https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,4272.msg20332.html#msg20332

Phil Harvey

Hi Michele,

Very smart, thanks!

I agree that editing the XML file is cumbersome.  I really don't like XML for that reason.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mlocati

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 24, 2012, 07:12:52 AMVery smart, thanks!
Thanks 8)

I added some more functions:
# now it's possible to edit the "val" translation under taginfo>table>tag>values>key (I forgot them)
# now the program asks to save on exit
# now it's possible to open an xml file received as first parameter of the app (useful for the "Open with" function of Windows Explorer).

Ciao
   Michele

mlocati

mlocati

Here I am.
With my little program I've translated the most part of the Exif group (and also some other strings). See the attached xml file.
if I'm not wrong you'll have to import in with something like #!/usr/bin/perl
require Image::ExifTool::TagInfoXML;
Image::ExifTool::TagInfoXML::BuildLangModules("PathToXml", 2);
Is it right?

Ciao!
   Michele

Phil Harvey

Hi Michele,

Yes, thanks.  I've imported the XML file and have attached the resulting lib/Image/ExifTool/Lang/it.pm module.

Note that some descriptions may not have stuck if there was already a different translation for the same thing.

Feel free to tweak things in it.pm now that all the new translations have been imported.  Let me know if you want anything changed.

Thanks a lot for the work you have done!

- Phil

Edit: Updated it.pm with new version

mlocati

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 31, 2012, 02:08:08 PMI've imported the XML file and have attached the resulting lib/Image/ExifTool/Lang/it.pm module
Great!

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 31, 2012, 02:08:08 PMNote that some descriptions may not have stuck if there was already a different translation for the same thing.
That's not so great. The same English text can have different translations for different contexts. For example, "none" could be translated as "nessuno" or "nessuna" (eg: "Effects: none" is "Effetti: nessuno", but "Images: none" is "Immagini: nessuna"). And also: "Time" can be translated as "Ora" or "Orario" but also as "Durata" or "Tempo".

A final note: to remember myself the translation progress, I've translated also the strings that are equals in English and Italian (eg the lens names). If you prefer I can strip these strings out from the xml, to reduce the site of the it.pm file. What do you think about it?

Ciao!
   Michele

Phil Harvey

Quote from: mlocati on August 01, 2012, 02:42:07 AM
That's not so great. The same English text can have different translations for different contexts. For example, "none" could be translated as "nessuno" or "nessuna" (eg: "Effects: none" is "Effetti: nessuno", but "Images: none" is "Immagini: nessuna"). And also: "Time" can be translated as "Ora" or "Orario" but also as "Durata" or "Tempo".

Yes.  The value translations are unique for each different tag name for this reason.

QuoteA final note: to remember myself the translation progress, I've translated also the strings that are equals in English and Italian (eg the lens names). If you prefer I can strip these strings out from the xml, to reduce the site of the it.pm file. What do you think about it?

The import process already ignores strings that are the same in English, so you don't need to worry about this.

- Phil

herb

Hello Michele and hello Phil,

@ Michele:
Thanks for the great tool ETTrans.exe.
It is a very big help in doing translations from english into other languages.

@Phil:
Please put the given link to ETTrans into an ExifTool internet page.
I think that not enough "translaters" will find this link in the actual posts.
Maybe this will help that other ExifTool fans enhance the given translations.

@ Michele:
But of course I also have a question:
On my XP system I have the problem to see e.g. the chinese translation.
On a W7 system of my friend we can see them also.
So I want to know, which font ETTrans does use?
Does it help to install this font also on my XP system?
Or would it be possible to assign a proper font to the used grids of your tool?

Thanks in advance
Herb

mlocati

Quote from: herb on August 05, 2012, 02:38:32 PMThanks for the great tool ETTrans.exe.
You're welcome!  ;)

Quote from: herb on August 05, 2012, 02:38:32 PMSo I want to know, which font ETTrans does use?
The default one, Microsoft Sans Serif. But I don't know if the visibility of East Asian characters depends only on the font or from other thinhs too. Perhaps following some of these steps may help...
Anyway, I've updated ETTrans to allow you to change the font...

Ciao!
   Michele

herb

Hello Michele,

thanks again for your great solution.
It is wonderful, that fonts are selectable now.

Thanks also for the link to some hints how to install and work with IME on windows.

Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

Quote from: herb on August 05, 2012, 02:38:32 PM
@Phil:
Please put the given link to ETTrans into an ExifTool internet page.
I think that not enough "translaters" will find this link in the actual posts.
Maybe this will help that other ExifTool fans enhance the given translations.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I would have already done this but couldn't find a good spot for it.   But I will definitely make a link to this when I figure out where it should go.

- Phil

mlocati

For a wider audience, we need a setup (for example, to check the presence of Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0).
So I removed the .exe from github and added a setup: https://github.com/mlocati/exiftool-translator/raw/master/setup.exe

Ciao
   Michele