Main Menu

Date offset

Started by smiley1081, June 14, 2011, 05:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smiley1081

Quote from: BogdanH on June 16, 2011, 12:20:56 PM
Notice: Without going into details... I have localized "troublemaker" inside GUI and have (hopefully) corrected the problem. I won't post update right now, because I would like to do some further tests (goes slow because there are so many different local regional settings) -but it seems promising.

Excellent...

QuoteAnyway, to be able to continue using GUI normally, just set Time format to HH:mm (that is, choose colon as separator) in your PC regional settings and everything should be fine -no need to change date separator.

Erk, in this installation it only show the time separator . while : is not present. I will have to check on other computers...

BogdanH

Hi,

New GUI version v4.13 is ready for download -I'm quite sure, that regional settings issue has been solved.

Bogdan

smiley1081

Phoenix

Maybe the following information from the Exif Tool FAQ could also be helpful:

5. "How do I format date and time information for writing?"

All information (including date/time information) is written in the same format as it is read out. When reading, ExifTool converts all date and time information to standard EXIF format, so this is also the way it is specified when writing. The standard EXIF date/time format is "YYYY:mm:dd HH:MM:SS", and some meta information formats such as XMP also allow sub-seconds and a timezone to be specified. The timezone format is "+HH:MM", "-HH:MM" or "Z". For example:

exiftool -xmp:dateTimeOriginal="2005:10:23 20:06:34.33-05:00" a.jpg

When writing XMP or other information types which allow incomplete date/time values, the following input formats are also accepted:

YYYY
    YYYY:mm
    YYYY:mm:dd
    YYYY:mm:dd HH:MM

Having said this, ExifTool is very flexible about the actual format of input date/time values when writing, and will attempt to reformat any values into the standard format unless the -n option is used. Any separators may be used (or in fact, none at all). The first 4 consecutive digits found in the value are interpreted as the year, then next 2 digits are the month, and so on. For EXIF date/time values, all 6 date/time fields must exist ("YYYYmmddHHMMSS"), but XMP date/time values require only the year ("YYYY").

Especially the closing paragraph may be interesting.

BogdanH

Hi,

Yes, this info is of great value in case ExifTool is used from command-line. However, above issue was related to GUI only.
Prehaps, a short info in this regard (might be interesting for future Delphi programmers):

All DateTime edit fields in GUI are made by using "masked" edit field. Masked edit field allows to store predefined (by me) characters and placeholders for characters entered by user. For example:
00:00:00 -here, "0" is a placeholder for number, and ":" is predefined separator.
Such field prevents user to enter wrong character on wrong place.

The problem (I was unaware of in Delphi) was, that ":" is special character, which appereance depends on regional settings of PC where GUI is running. So, everything was fine on my PC, but not necessary on some other's PC.
We learn something all the time ... :)

Bogdan