Bug found with v5.0 - oleaut32.dll

Started by kevinf, February 04, 2012, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinf

Hi Bogdan,

I was setting up my preferred tags in ExiftoolGUI v5.0. I have come across a bug while doing this, and by a process of elimination I have found that if I delete the ISO tag line from QuickView preferences and save them, then when I start ExiftoolGUI next time I get an access violation with 'oleaut32.dll'.

I have been adding some Exif information to old photos and have no immediate use for the ISO tag. I have left in in so I can keep working happily.

I have not found any other tag that does this, but I'm sure you'll see what the issue is!

Regards and thanks,
Kevin Fenaughty
New Zealand

kevinf

Bogdan,

A bit more information might help you. Firstly, it is not the ISO tag as such that is the problem. I can re-create it if I delete the config file and delete 4 tag lines from the QuickView manager. 3 is okay, but the 4th one causes the above problem to arise.

I am on Windows XP SP3.

Hope that helps.
Kevin

kevinf

Bogdan,

Trying out v5.1 on Windows 7. The message for the above scenario says "Out of memory" on startup.

To recreate it:

(1) Delete any ExifToolGUIv5 configuration file.

(2) Open the Workspace Manager and successively delete the lines for Lens Model, Exposure Time, FNumber and ISO.

(3) Click Save Changes and Save.

(4) Close ExifToolGUI.

(5) Re-start ExifToolGUI and you will get the Out of Memory pop-up.

I haven't had a chance to try it on XP as with my earlier posts.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

BogdanH

Hi Kevin,

I've tried your steps (on Win7), but here, no error appears:

(1) By "delete configuration file" you mean delete ExifToolGUIv5.ini file I suppose. I did that, even deleting it has no influence on GUI startup: in this case, GUI just starts with internal predefined/default settings (first time use, actually) and no ini file is created at that point.
If ini file is deleted while GUI is running, no harm is done, because when running, GUI doesn't use ini file anymore. When cosing GUI, data is written into existing ini file and if ini file doesn't exist (first time use), new ini file is created.
Saying this, I really see no connection between ini file presence and error you describe. That is, user can delete ini file anytime; however, user should NOT manually edit ini file!

(2)..(5) I repeated these steps and few other combinations, but nothing "unusual" happens.

The only thing I can imagine would be, ini file that GUI reads on startup, is "corrupted". Copy ini file elsewhere and if GUI shows error, then attach ini file you've copied, here (don't paste content here -attach zipped ini file instead).
And just to exclude other possibilities: don't run GUI from "Program files" (or other system related) folder. Just make new folder, i.e.: C:\MyGUI and run it from there.

Bogdan

kevinf

Bogdan,

Thanks for your reply. I have placed four files: ExifToolGUI, exiftool, jpegtran and jhead in a directory on my C: drive.

(a) I have started ExifToolGUI by double-clicking the ExifToolGUI executable in Windows Explorer.

(b) I then deleted the four lines as in step (2) of my earlier post.

(c) I "saved changes", and "saved".

(d) I exited ExifToolGUI.

(e) I repeated step (a) and immediately received the "Out of memory" pop-up, which I acknowledge. After that the usual GUI screen appears. I then close ExifToolGUI and it says "Cannot save GUI settings".

I attach the config file that is generated and causes step (e) for me.

Thank you - and may I add my thanks for your progression to v5, which allows for individual tailoring so well.
Kevin

BogdanH

Hi Kevin,

This time I succeeded getting error you describe! The thing is, it is pure coincidence this error happens by deleting exactly these four entries you've mentioned. I mean, knowing the reason now, it could happen anytime...
Attached ini file you've provided and the message "Cannot save GUI settings" (not mentioned before) helped me a lot to find the reason of why this happens. Thank you very much for providing detailed info.

Updated GUI v5.02 is already available.

Bogdan

kevinf

Thanks, Bogdan, it's working perfectly at 5.2. Also appreciate the other nice touch of putting the focus on the following line after a deletion!

Kevin