Main Menu

Recent posts

EXIF data in video files is non-standard. Every camera company shoves it in there in different ways, sometimes even different between models from the same company. Because of this, exiftool can't always edit EXIF data in a video safely, though it can for a few types.

From a previous post by Phil regarding EXIF data in a Canon video
Quote from: Phil Harvey on February 18, 2023, 09:34:33 AMCanon specifically writes metadata to the thumbnailimage.  I think you may be able to write this by extracting the thumbnail, editing it, then writing it back again.

In case it matters, most other software won't even know this metadata exists.

I don't think exiftool can embed a thumbnail in a video, but I'm not sure. You might have to look for another program to do so.  Maybe ffmpeg?
Hello,

While my MOV videos taken with an iPhone don't contain such tags as IFD0, ExifIFD... my Canon videos do:

What's weird is that I could not edit those tags in any way. I want to add a timezone to those stamps, so I have Date/time Original and Date/Time Numeric (in ExifIFD) with their timezone associated. I also have a IFD0 FileModifyDate with no timezone associated.
(On my most recent Canon I have in ExifIFD 3 tags: OffsetTime, OffsetTime Original and OffsetTime Digitized.)

I couldn't add any timezone to it on GraphicConverter 12 going through: Exif > Edit Exif Date > Define Exif timezone.

I didn't manage to do it with other manipulations.

Would you have any ideas to add this to my Canon videos please? Thank you very much,
Metadata / Re: Samsung metadata
Last post by e@e@ - Today at 03:17:07 PM
Quote from: StarGeek on Today at 10:00:31 AMI used the -v5 (-verbose5) option to get a hex dump of the APP4 section.  There are way too many null characters 0x00 for it to be image data, IMO. There are about 2,525 null characters out of the 6,520 characters in that section.

Yes, that's what I thought too...
So what else can it be? I saw this kind of APP4 on some Samsung devices, in each picture they are a little different, but contain a lot of nulls...
Newbies / Re: How to extract the content...
Last post by FixEUser - Today at 03:14:16 PM
GREAT!

Thank you for your patience and the simple and easy to understand solution.

No additional batch file, nothing.
Just exiftool -s3 , the needed UserDefinedText tag name and the music file.

I'm really happy!
In what way is it "too few".  Can you provide a sample image and explain why it is wrong?

The data in the GPS tags is saved as a fraction. There may be minor rounding differences when displaying the data as a decimal. You can use the -n (--printConv) option to list the entire decimal number that is converted from that fraction or the -c (-coordFormat) option to control how the data is printed.
Last post by StarGeek - Today at 10:00:31 AM
I used the -v5 (-verbose5) option to get a hex dump of the APP4 section.  There are way too many null characters 0x00 for it to be image data, IMO. There are about 2,525 null characters out of the 6,520 characters in that section.
Newbies / Re: How to extract the content...
Last post by StarGeek - Today at 09:39:27 AM
Don't include the -G (-groupNames) option. That's an interaction between -G and -s3 that I didn't know about.

C:\Programs\My_Stuff>exiftool -s3 -MusicBrainzArtistId Y:/Music/Music/Sorted/Albums/Journey/Greatest_Hits/01-Only_the_Young.mp3
abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b

And there is always the -p option, as I mentioned
C:\>exiftool -p "$MusicBrainzArtistId" Y:/Music/Music/Sorted/Albums/Journey/Greatest_Hits/01-Only_the_Young.mp3
abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b
Last post by e@e@ - Today at 08:40:02 AM
Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 13, 2024, 01:25:28 PMWithout seeing a sample I can't even be sure this is image data.

- Phil

it does not look like an image, but here is a link to an image I found on the web with this kind of APP4:

Newbies / Re: MeteringMode seems to be w...
Last post by PaulPanter - Today at 06:52:14 AM
Ahhhhh, have found a solution. You are my hero: exiftool "path/to/IMG_4667.jpg" -ExifIFD:MeteringMode -n
The decimal places in the GPS Altitude are too few.