Date/Time Shift features changes other data

Started by Leonard WHYTE, February 20, 2018, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonard WHYTE

I have a JPG image file.

When I issue 'exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal+=5:10:2 10:48:0" "."' exiftool changes the DTO meta-data tag and nothing else.  File size and other content remains the same.  This is good.
When I issue 'exiftool "-CreateDate+=5:10:2 10:48:0" "."' however, the DTD meta-data tag is updated, but so also is other stuff and the file size changes.  This is NOT what I want.  I just want DTD to be updated.

Is this a bug?  If not, is there a way I can use "exiftool" to modify the DTD tag but make no other changes to the file content?

StarGeek

DTD tag?  Are you mistyping DTO (DateTimeOriginal)?  Or do you mean something else?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Leonard WHYTE

Phil, yes I understand that the file size changes when the tags are updated.  But that, as such, is not my concern.

What I'm looking for in a date changer, is the ability to patch the DTD/DTO tags 'in-place' without changing ANY other tags in the image.  I don't want the image re-written, just patched.

Your software does this when updating DTO, but when I update DTD, it ALSO fools with some other tags.  I'm wondering why you do things differently for the DTO and DTD date changes?  I'm looking for a way to update both tags in place. 

Len

Phil Harvey

Hi Len,

ExifTool rewrites the entire EXIF if any EXIF tags are changed.  The same goes for XMP and IPTC.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Leonard WHYTE on February 24, 2018, 06:34:00 PM
What I'm looking for in a date changer, is the ability to patch the DTD/DTO tags 'in-place' without changing ANY other tags in the image.  I don't want the image re-written, just patched.

Technically, it rewrites the entire file every time.  It doesn't rewrite 'in-place' or as a patch.  Is that correct Phil?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

For JPEG files the EXIF, XMP and IPTC sections are separate.  So, for example, if no EXIF tags are changed then that section is just copied as a block.  But any section that has changed tags is rewritten completely.

- Phil