write gps locations in decimal degrees

Started by bitmap, March 03, 2016, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitmap

I am developing a camera control program that adds the gps location data to the pictures in near realtime, one image at a time as they are taken. The locations written to the files are incorrect. I also am adding a unix timestamp to the image and and when I look at my gps log file I see the correct location associated with the time stamp.  I am guessing that by default exiftool wants the time in deg min sec nmea formatted but I am passing it decimal degrees.  If that is the case then is there a corresponding option to the "-n" option for writing?  Or am I going to have to convert those to nmea compatible strings before writing to the files?

Phil Harvey

It is really hard to pass the wrong coordinate format to ExifTool when writing.  FAQ 14 discusses the accepted formats.

My guess is that your problem lays somewhere else.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bitmap

Your guess would be right.  There was a byte swapping in error in the navigation system interface.  The least significant bit was getting plugged into the wrong place.  Someone noticed that the errors looked pretty random and upon further inspection I realized that the log file was getting it's value through another interface. It had the byte order correct.  So I was getting bad data. Need a to fix it so there is a single source of truth. Thanks.