Exiftool continuous testing infrastructure

Started by AbdealiJK, May 09, 2016, 02:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbdealiJK

Hi all,

I'm going to be using ExifTool in a project I'm doing and I was wondering about the testing used in ExifTool. I found the unittesting infrastructure in the t folder which can be run using the make test command

Is there some Continuous Integration (CI) system like Travis, CircleCi, Buildbot, Jenkins, etc. being used in the exiftool project ? Again, I found the CPAN testers page http://www.cpantesters.org/distro/I/Image-ExifTool.html but it doesn't seem to be automated testing. From my understanding, it's users manually updating that it works on various systems.

EDIT: If I could see coverage data also, that'd be great !

Thanks, and regards
Abdeali JK

Phil Harvey

Hi Abdeali,

Quote from: AbdealiJK on May 09, 2016, 02:26:15 AM
Is there some Continuous Integration (CI) system like Travis, CircleCi, Buildbot, Jenkins, etc. being used in the exiftool project ?

I don't know what this is.

QuoteAgain, I found the CPAN testers page http://www.cpantesters.org/distro/I/Image-ExifTool.html but it doesn't seem to be automated testing. From my understanding, it's users manually updating that it works on various systems.

There are many systems that pull new CPAN releases and test them automatically.  Plus some users as you mention.

QuoteEDIT: If I could see coverage data also, that'd be great !h

I don't know what you mean.  This page shows all of the systems that have been tested with the current production release: http://www.cpantesters.org/distro/I/Image-ExifTool.html#Image-ExifTool-10.15

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

AbdealiJK

Hi Phil, thanks a lot for the reply :)

A lot of software projects setup continuous integration, which is basically a computer that tests whether the automated tests run correctly for every commit i the version control system. Travis, CircleCI, etc. provide an external server which does this.

I read up a bit more and CPAN, and saw that it does have automated tests. But this seems to be only for releases. Continuous Integration provides a more elaborate method where every commit pushed to the master branch gets tested.

I was also wondering whether the source code has a version control systems, like git, hg, svn, etc. Is this published online somewhere (like bitbucket, gitlab, github, etc.) ?
For example, if I wish to contribute a patch to exiftool, how would I go about doing that ?

Phil Harvey

Currently I use a private CVS repository for ExifTool, so all patches go through me.

There is a git repository on SourceForge that I update for all releases (not just the "production" cpan versions), but I would have to backport any patches from here to CVS.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

AbdealiJK