PyExifTools - Copy All Tags from Source to Target

Started by canjmp, April 21, 2024, 12:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canjmp

I am confused with PyExifTool.

I did read the documentation at: 'https://sylikc.github.io/pyexiftool/examples.html#understanding-input-and-output-from-pyexiftool-base-methods'.

But I am too dense.

This script works from batch file:

exiftool -TagsFromFile _internal\360_metadata.mp4 "-all:all>all:all" output.mp4

Here is my unsuccessful attempt:

# Add 360 metadata to output.mp4 then delete utility files
def add_360_metadata(output_file):
    global output_folder

# Construct full path to the source file
    source_file = r"C:/Users/canjm/Desktop/STUFF/Test Area 20 - 360 D_F_EYE VID STITCHER/_internal/360_metadata.MP4"

target_file = os.path.join(output_folder, output_file)

# Copy all tags from source file to target file
    with ExifToolHelper() as et:
        et.set_tags(
            [target_file],  # Pass the target file only
            tags={"-all:all>all:all": source_file},  # Use a dictionary with the correct format
            params=["-P", "-TagsFromFile"]
        )

Here was the error message:

File "C:\Users\canjm\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python312\Lib\site-packages\exiftool\helper.py", line 574, in _check_tag_list
    raise ExifToolTagNameError(t)
exiftool.exceptions.ExifToolTagNameError: Invalid Tag Name found: "-all:all>all:all"

I was not successful in my effort to convert this code into Python code. Some assistance would be much appreciated.

StarGeek

PyExiftool isn't supported here, as it was created by a third party.

But the problem seems to be that -all:all>all:all is read as a single tag name, not as a copy operation. I don't know enough about PyExiftool or Python to be more helpful.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek

I think the problem might be that you're using et.set_tags because you are not doing a set tag operation, you are doing a tag copy operation.

I think you need to do an execute operation. These parameters need to be set in this order

"-TagsFromFile",source_file,"-All:All"
You don't need to use "-all:all>all:all". It's exactly the same as -All:All when placed after the -TagsFromFile (see this post).
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).