Getting part of folder name into EXIF description

Started by slashedzero, January 06, 2017, 07:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

Read Phil's post carefully.  Don't CD to the directory with files, as the directory will be the dot, which stands for the current directory.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Japester

I've had success now, with the folder name, and not the whole path, in the ImageDescription.

In Lightroom, this tag is labelled Caption. It's not Title, which was what I was expecting.

Phil Harvey

The directory that you "cd" into won't appear in the caption. Only directories below this will.  If you want "Africa puzzle" in the caption, then cd to "/Volumes/Main Storage/ Lightroom Import/" to run the exiftool command.

You can see what ExifTool will write with this command:

exiftool -directory FILES

- Phil

Edit:  Oops.  I see StarGeek already responded -- I was only looking at page 1 of the responses
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Japester

Thanks. I've got it working now, so the directory:

/Volumes/Main\ Storage/\ Lightroom\ Import/Africa\ puzzle

is processed to write Africa Puzzle into what is called the Caption field in Lightroom, and I'm doing it on multiple images in multiple folders, recursively. The part of the path that I want is what I am getting, so that's fine. I would prefer it to write into what Lightroom calls the Title field.

Phil Harvey

1. Write the title with Lightroom

2. Use exiftool -a -G1 -s to see where the title was written, then write it to the same location(s) with ExifTool.

- Phil

Edit: StarGeek has already figured this out for you.  Read here.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

That is data from ver 4.4 of LR, but it should still be the same as the current version of Bridge still writes there.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).