copying metadata using -stay_open

Started by areohbee, September 26, 2012, 05:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

areohbee

I've been using -stay_open successfully for several months, for reading, and writing, but can't get it to copy.

Note: to do writing commands, I've had to scrounge the data to be written from the response file, then write to desired target file m'self - but it's been working out just fine, even though I sense it's not the right way to do it.

But, I can't get metadata copying to work at all. The metadata that should be copied to desired output file, never makes it there.

for example, this works:

exiftool -tagsFromFile infile.xmp -all:all outfile.jpg

but this does not:

write( "-tagsFromFile infile.xmp" )
write( "-all:all" )
write( "outfile.jpg" )
write( "-execute" )

There are no errors, and the response file is filled with all the tags read from infile.xmp, but outfile.jpg remains unmodified. It's like the output that I hoped would be destined for outfile.jpg is going to the response file instead.

As I said, I've been using stay-open otherwise successfully for several months now. What am I missing?

Phil Harvey

Each argument must be on a separate line in the argfile:

write( "-tagsFromFile" )
write( "infile.xmp" )
write( "-all:all" )
write( "outfile.jpg" )
write( "-execute" )

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

areohbee

Got it! - thanks Phil  :).
Rob