Accessing structure sub-elements directly?

Started by Xeonic, January 23, 2012, 04:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeonic

Hello

Firstly thanks for a great app, exiftool team!

I am trying to reassign location data in a batch script, specifically from the XMP:LocationCreated structure, i.e. for notes, keywords e.t.c.

I know it is possible to read flatten parts such as Sublocation by

exiftool -XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedSublocation myfile.jpg

But when trying to assign the Sublocation part to Location in a batch script, i.e.

exiftool -XMP:Location<$XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedSublocation myfile.jpg

A warning says that the Tag is undefined.

Command for non structures such as

exiftool -XMP:Location<$XMP:Label myfile.jpg

work fine.

Is is possible to access the subelements directly in a single command in order to do this?

If not, how can the sub-element parts be referenced?

I am using 8.76

Thanks

Phil Harvey

This is a bit tricky, but is explained in a few places, including the Copying section of the structure documentation.

Tags are copied as structures by default, so --struct must be specified to copy flattened tags.  Your command will work if you add this option.

Also, when simply copying a tag value, it is slightly more efficient to drop the "$".  (The "$" is needed only when you want to insert a tag value into a string, such as "-copyright<$createdate, Phil Harvey".)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Xeonic

Thanks Phil!

"--struct", that was exactly what it was missing!

I managed to get it going with

exiftool --struct -XMP:Location<XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedSublocation myfile.jpg

And similar for the other sub-elements.

Cheers for the $ tag tip also!

Xe

Phil Harvey

Update:  As of ExifTool 8.83, you no longer need to use the --struct option to copy flattened tags by name.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).