Feature Request: Geolocate -Keys:LocationName

Started by Marsu42, March 24, 2024, 04:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

The new Geolocate feature is great, thanks!

Using exiftool 12.80 and looking at https://exiftool.org/geolocation.html#Read only Keys:GPSCoordinates is written on running exiftool -geolocate=geotag -geotag ...

However, in the very limited "Keys" tag set there is at least "LocationName", plus some others https://exiftool.org/TagNames/QuickTime.html#Keys

=> It would be nice to have exiftool write these too when using Geolocate to get at least some basic information into video (mp4) tags - maybe some composite string like "City / State / Country" or make use -Keys:LocationNote, too.

Thanks for considering :-) ... if exiftool doesn't to it on its own of course users can try to work around it by writing a dummy xmp, then assembling the Keys tag(s) manually.

wywh

GraphicConverter 12 happens to read Keys:LocationName. Are there more apps that read that tag?

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 22.54.52 GMT+2.png

Yes, it would be nice to have more useful movie metadata tags instead the current mess.

In Apple's apps Keys:DisplayName overrides Keys:Title if both exist and I am using just the latter. GC Browser displays Keys:UserRating. macOS Sonoma QuickTime Player and Photos.app display almost all of the following tags:

exiftool -a -G1 -s -n -Keys:All movie.mp4
[Keys]          Author                          : Author
[Keys]          Description                     : Description
[Keys]          Keywords                        : Keyword 1,Keyword 2
[Keys]          GPSCoordinates                  : -36.6101 -66.91515 119.9
[Keys]          UserRating                      : 3
[Keys]          Title                           : Title
[Keys]          LocationName                    : LocationName
[Keys]          DisplayName                     : Headline

- Matti

Marsu42

Quote from: wywh on March 24, 2024, 05:04:48 PMGraphicConverter 12 happens to read Keys:LocationName. Are there more apps that read that tag?

Personally, I'd use the Keys:LocationName tag to watermark video thumbnails/previews using ImageMagick and... exiftool, so I wouldn't know about anything else. Unless the location data is stored in this tag, I'd have to do a slow lookup on the fly all the time when generating a watermark.

Generally, imho exiftool should'nt look that much at what metadata other apps support right now - you would have too dump most of the even standardized exif, iptc, plus and xmp tags with this approach.

However, once a not too obcure tag is populated by the universal metadata app exiftool, other implmenentations - commercial or open source - might follow sooner or later. I could very well imagine other thumbnail apps using this field for the same purpose like my diy script, or video players would show it in their metadata screen or as a subtitle.

Phil Harvey

It may make sense to write the city name to Keys:LocationName.  I'll think about this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I'll update 12.81 to write "City, Region, Country" to Keys:LocationName, and we'll see how it goes.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

wywh

I briefly tested exiftool 12.81 geolocation in movies. It writes City, Region, Country to Keys:LocationName:

exiftool -P -overwrite_original -Keys:XMP-photoshop:XMP-iptcCore:Geolocate='Santiago,Ica' .

exiftool -a -G1 -s -n -Location:All .
======== ./movie.mov
[XMP-iptcCore]  CountryCode                     : PE
[XMP-photoshop] City                            : Santiago
[XMP-photoshop] Country                         : Peru
[XMP-photoshop] State                           : Ica
[Keys]          GPSCoordinates                  : -14.1847 -75.7113
[Keys]          LocationName                    : Santiago, Ica, Peru
======== ./movie.mp4
======== ./movie.m4v

GraphicConverter 12.1 displays XMP* only for .mov.:

mov.png

GraphicConverter 12.1 displays Keys:LocationName (and Keys:GPSCoordinates) for .mp4, .m4v and .mov:

mp4.png

macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 QuickTime Player displays Keys:LocationName (and Keys:GPSCoordinates). Photos.app displays only Keys:GPSCoordinates.

QuicTime Player.png

It seems currently Keys tags supports only the related LocationName. Maybe if those images' XMP separate tags are later added also for Keys City, State, Country, and Country Code, then it is easy to separate and write those Keys:LocationName tags into those new separate tags, if needed?

https://exiftool.org/TagNames/QuickTime.html#Keys

- Matti