GeoTagNinja - an open-source GeoSetter replacement (of sorts.)

Started by Viktor Nemeth, August 01, 2022, 06:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viktor Nemeth

Hi all

Happy to announce that I've published my initial version of GeoTagNinja --> https://github.com/nemethviktor/GeoTagNinja -- it's an open-source GPLv3 Windows 7+ app that recreates some of the (for the time being more basic) functionality of GeoSetter as that one seems to have been abandoned. Geotagging and map-based toponymy/search work along with a decent support for various raw files. Uses ExifTool in the background. 
Please read the readme on GitHub and there's a youtube video link in the readme as well. Install the app via Releases (within Releases then click on Assets if you can't see the files, you'll need the setup file and the .msi file).
I'd generally appreciate if bugs and comments would be more filed in Github's Issue Tracker but I'll keep an eye out for things here as well.

StarGeek

Bookmarking this to check out later, hopefully I don't forget about it.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Viktor Nemeth

Hi everyone,

Bumping this thread a little. Version 0.6 has been released with plenty of bug fixes, smaller enhancements and most of all the new function: Import Track Files. While this is an experimental feature, one of the kind users (thanks Phil B!) tested it quite extensively and should hopefully work okay.
Everyone's welcome to play around with it, link in the OP.
Any bugs, comments, requests, whatnots post in the issue tracker on GitHub pls.

Ps. For the more techy ones, there's a commit on the way for a refactored code as the current one looks a little monolithic. Finally got a ReSharper licence yesterday so will play around w/ it next week.

StarGeek

I've seen a lot of Github notifications on this in my inbox.  And I mean a lot :D  Nice to see your really working on it.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

pbranly

Thanks NĂ©meth,
Your program is now working very well and is very close to Geosetter features .
I deeply advice all users to try and test it.
I am sure it will be a very good replacement for geosetter.
Excellent job
Phil

Phil Harvey

I would like to link this from the ExifTool home page.  Is there a home page with a description and a download link?  I browsed around github quickly but couldn't find a download page with install instructions.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  Yes, I started from there but it isn't really a user-friendly page.  It took me a while to wade past the list of source files and finally found the link to the releases page at the end of the first paragraph in the readme below.  There was a brief instruction about downloading a .msi file.  Presumably Windows people know what to do with this, but I don't.  Is that for some sort of automated package installer?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Viktor Nemeth

hi everyone,

(in order of replies)
@StarGeek --> yeah, sorry, I'll hopefully be releasing fewer bugfixes now. I've pushed a code change (but no new release) just now. At least it looks acceptable now :D

@PhilB - thanks for the testing once again :)

@Phil H - That would be awesome, thank you. Yeah the app is Windows-only, I've just updated the readme.md a little better to make it more obvious how to download. A bit like yours it doesn't have an always-constant download path (github doesn't do that) but the downloads are always in https://github.com/nemethviktor/GeoTagNinja/releases and then always the newest (topmost). The .msi file is the one to be downloaded.

PH Edit: Added link to readme.md

Phil Harvey

StarGeek

Quote from: nemethv on November 13, 2022, 04:30:43 PM@StarGeek --> yeah, sorry, I'll hopefully be releasing fewer bugfixes now. I've pushed a code change (but no new release) just now. At least it looks acceptable now :D

Oh, it's no problem.  It let's me know the project is still active.  I'm the one who has the project watch setting to all activity and it's on me if I wanted fewer emails.

Quote from: Phil Harvey on November 13, 2022, 12:20:08 PMfinally found the link to the releases page

Github isn't really user-friendly with regards to this.  I finally learned a while back that the "Releases" link on the right side is where to find the files. Listing the number of tags below that really doesn't mean anything to someone who doesn't use github regularly.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: StarGeek on November 15, 2022, 11:17:59 AMI finally learned a while back that the "Releases" link on the right side is where to find the files.

Good tip.

- Phil