Build failure

Started by Hayo Baan, April 19, 2024, 07:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayo Baan

When trying to build 12.83 from sources (perl Makefile.PL && make test && make install), the Geolocation test fails.

t/Geolocation.t .... 1/8
  Test 6 differs beginning at line 1:
    Test gave: "[ExifTool, ExifTool, Location] GeolocationCity - Geolocation City: Muenchen"
    Should be: "[ExifTool, ExifTool, Location] GeolocationCity - Geolocation City: Munich"

Looks like a small oversight in the checked-in version in the repo.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

Hi Hayo,

I was worried about this.  This will happen if you still have the lib/Image/ExifTool/GeoLang directory from version 12.82.  This directory has been removed from 12.83.

It would be helpful if you could figure out why this directory still existed on your system when you ran the tests.  If I download the full distribution and run the tests myself it works fine.  The GeoLang directory should have also been deleted from the git repositories.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

The GeoLang directory wasn't in lib/Image/ExifTool, but I did find it in blib/lib/Image/ExifTool. When I removed blib altogether and reran the build, the error disappeared. So I guess I have to extend my build procedure and explicitly remove blib just to be on the safe side :)
Or better yet, remove all generated code with e.g. git clean -f -d -x -e .gitignore.

(which begs the question, why did you include .gitignore in the .gitignore file itself?)
Hayo Baan – Photography

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Hayo Baan on April 20, 2024, 01:51:36 PM(which begs the question, why did you include .gitignore in the .gitignore file itself?)

No idea.  I don't remember ever touching a .gitignore file, and I don't see it in the repository.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 20, 2024, 02:54:30 PM
Quote from: Hayo Baan on April 20, 2024, 01:51:36 PM(which begs the question, why did you include .gitignore in the .gitignore file itself?)
No idea.  I don't remember ever touching a .gitignore file, and I don't see it in the repository.

Ha, then I know why: I added it myself so the build files do not get marked as untracked after building. The .gitignore I then needed to add to itself so that *that* file wouldn't be marked as untracked. Did this so long ago, I forgot about it ;D

My .gitignore (if you feel like adopting this, you need to leave out .gitignore, of course):
.gitignore
MYMETA.json
MYMETA.yml
Makefile
blib/
pm_to_blib
Hayo Baan – Photography