Lang options when using -stay_open

Started by ScannerBoy, July 18, 2021, 04:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScannerBoy

Currently I am trying to build myself a GUI test interface to exiftool using the -stay_open interface using std::in, out & err.

It sort of works for as far as I have been able to test the stay_open feature, but when I try to pass a -lang option, such as -lang en-ca to that interface it is rejected and the std::err output reports "Invalid TAG name:  lang en-ca"

Running exiftool for the same image file & option on the command line works as expected.
Is this supposed to work or did I miss something relevant in the documentation :-)

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ScannerBoy

Those instructions were followed in this test.

Phil Harvey

StarGeek is correct.  You need a linefeed between -lang and en-ca since you are reading the arguments using the -@ feature.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

As it shows in that FAQ with the -d option

-lang
en-ca

not

-lang en-ca
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ScannerBoy

Thank you both, yes, that is what it took, but ....
a trailing space on -lang was another one of the issues.

Also, one cannot have any "-execute" statements in between -lang & en-ca ( I was using -executexx to debug the output) nor anywhere else before the file name (obvious, sort of) in hind sight, though not really, if one assumes -execute to mean 'have a look at what I have sent you and tell me what, if anything is incorrect'.

At least, by now, I understand the -@ protocol better.