Main Menu

Extract XPComments in batch

Started by bestcons, March 05, 2012, 11:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestcons

Dear Bogdan,
I have a seemingly simple problem but did not find the appropriate answer in the Forum or the User guide.
I have a file with images and from the metadata I need to extract from Exif the XPComments tag information, which I selected via Workspace.
The output basically should consist of 2 columns: First the image names, and in the second column the associated XPComment information.
Version 3 missed the Workspace selection, but I coud at least create a metadata batch text file.
Please advice.
Thanks
bestcons

BogdanH

Hi,

There are at least two ways to achieve this with ExifTool, but from GUI, do the following:

1. Select all desired image files in Filelist panel (try with 3-4 files first, so you can see fast what you get).
2. Click on ExifTool direct button and write the following command into Command line:
-p "$Filename=$XPcomment"
.. and press Enter key.
3. Click on Show Log window button to see what you've got. If that's what you want, right click inside Log Window, select all and copy.... to Notepad.
I have used = charcater as separator for  Filename and XPcomment value in above command; you can use any other character (or space) instead.

Bogdan

bestcons

Dear Bogdan,
I guess I am almost there. The file is recognized, but no further XPComment information is generated.
I add a Printscreen for your consideration (the Warning is just file related)
What am I still doing wrong?
Regards,
bestcons

BogdanH

Hi,

Thank you for screenshot.

You didn't do exactly what I said:
1. Select desired files in Filelist panel (select only one file, for example).
2. Into Command line, write exactly and only (and nothing else!):
-p "$Filename=$XPcomment"
..and press Enter key.
That is, don't replace $Filename with actual filename.

Bogdan

bestcons

Dear Bogdan,

That did the trick.
Still one question. Some comment fields are empty. However I would prefer to generate a line here too.
So 75 images (with or without comment) generate 75 lines.
Any advice?
Thanks a lot.
bestcons

BogdanH

Hi,

Yes, you can do that by adding -f (force writting tag) option:
-f -p "$Filename=$XPcomment"
-this will write minus sign where XPcomment tag isn't defined.

Bogdan

bestcons

Hi Bogdan,
Well done, you made my day.
Once more: Thanks.
Topic may be closed.
bestcons