enhancement: extract binary data from FLIR radiometric jpg

Started by tomas123, March 20, 2013, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

I don't know of any software that will do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hmargera

I was afraid of that answer.

Anyway, thank you for your reply.

dmlv

Hello Phil, Tomas123!

I'm sorry if I'm pulling up an old thread falsely and the info should be searched for elsewhere.

I have Flir E75/E76 cameras and we are using the exiftool to extract the raw temperature values from flir images for years - thank you for that. Right now I have come across an idea that I would like to dynamically change the temperature range for images - the same as it can be done with Flir software. So, for example I have and image that has been captured with auto mode and has a range 25C - 100C, but I would like to reprocess it and have a 40C-80C range. I did try the php script Tomas123 has posted 11 years ago and it transforms the image with a desired range (however colors differ from the Flir image but I suppose that it can be fixed with the appropriate color scheme), but the problem is that when the image is transformed it loses its metadata thus losing all the temperature information that was stored in the original. I tested this by running
exiftool changedImage.jpg -flir:all -H -G on it and the output is none. Is there a way to manipulate the thermal image range by keeping the temperature values or maybe I can recompile the picture somehow with the new range?

Thank you for your work and response in advance!
BR, Davis.

Phil Harvey

I don't have time to look at Thomas' script, but I can tell you that ExifTool can't help here because it doesn't have the ability to write the FLIR metadata.

A possible work-around could be to convert the edited image to JPG format then use something like my swap_image script to insert the new image back into the original file.  However, this will only change the displayed image.  It won't scale the raw temperature values if this is what you want.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).