Main Menu

Samsung Trailer

Started by lofturkristjansson, August 26, 2024, 11:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lofturkristjansson

Does anyone know when the Samsung Trailer Image_UTC_Data first emerged. The reason I ask is because that Trailer tag does not appear prior to august 2016 in any jpegs from Samsung mobile phones I am working on.

As for the ImageUniqueID I wonder if Samsung is using it in its mobile phone instead of a serial number.  The first 16 bytes are all the same for the device but the following 4 bytes have small alterations based on time periods.

Best regards
Loftur

StarGeek

The first appearance of Samsung trailer in exiftool's version history appears to be Version 9.71, Sept. 20, 2014, though there are ealier mentions of trailer data before that, just not specifically Samsung.

According to the source code, this is the post which added the Samsung:Image_UTC_Data tag.

I'd say that's the best that can be done. It's an obscure tag that very few people would actually care about.

Quote from: lofturkristjansson on August 26, 2024, 11:17:01 AMAs for the ImageUniqueID I wonder if Samsung is using it in its mobile phone instead of a serial number.  The first 16 bytes are all the same for the device but the following 4 bytes have small alterations based on time periods.

The best way to test that would be to compare the data with the serial number from the phone.  Unfortunately, my cheapy Samsung phone doesn't include that tag so I can't check.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).