No output for a specific file

Started by ScannerBoy, August 05, 2020, 09:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScannerBoy

Just now I was trying to list all metadata for a directory using the command line (Win 10 Powershell)
PS D:\pkg\wx\MSVC2019\_3.1.3_2019\wxIDiff\TestFiles\JPGs> exiftool -csv -r . > out.csv
the output recorded:
3 directories scanned
   41 image files read
but the output  CSV file had only 26 entries.
When I tried the first missing image with
PS D:\pkg\wx\MSVC2019\_3.1.3_2019\wxIDiff\TestFiles\JPGs> exiftool -csv '.\Metadata_test_file_-_includes_data_in_IIM,_XMP,_and_Exif.jpg' > Metadata_out.csv
there was no command line output & the resulting CSV file is empty.
The file showing this problem is attached. I believe it originally came from Carl Seibert's page or was created by him

StarGeek

What version of exiftool are you using?  What are you using to view the CSV file?

Your test file creates a 45KB csv file here that loads up in LibreOffices without any apparent problems.  The row height is huge and I had to manually change it to actually see the data but it's there.

Also, maybe try CMD instead of PowerShell.  Powershell is real twitchy when it comes to redirecting output that isn't straight ASCII. Some of the characters in there might be throwing it for a loop.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ScannerBoy

Thank you for having a (better) look at the output.
When I look at the original CSV file in a hex editor, it does confirm that all of the output is there.
So it is LibreOffice which chokes on that one line. It does show that long/high field almost empty, though it really is not, but no lines thing else after that one.

sevy

Hello,
If you only need to view your csv file, CSVFileView is interesting (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/csv_file_view.html), especially when using filters.