Conduct only one file per folder with -r ?

Started by Luuk2005, October 30, 2020, 11:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luuk2005

Greetings to the experts!
Martin is having 2000+ folders with filenames trailing like SameText_###.jpg, but likes to change _Highest### --> _999_okladka.
For better explanation, please to see... www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5201.. The best I can invent is like this...exiftool -q -ext jpg -Fast4 -FileOrder -FileName -if "$FileSequence==0 and $Filename =~ /_\d{3}\.(?i)jpe?g$$/" -TESTname"<${filename;s/(.*_)\d+(.*)/$1\999_okladka$2/}" .

This so that if folder has names like zzz.jpg, then file must not be renamed, its working but only for just one folder. In trying many experiments with -r and . the $FileSequence not resets per folder, and always wants to be read-only, so Im putting the exiftool in a For-Loop, this works but makes it very slow to stop and start for each folder!

Is there better ways to conduct only the file with highest### per folder, while using the -r in Windows?
Thanks much in advance!
Windows8.1-64bit,  exiftool-v12.92(standalone),  sed-v4.0.7

StarGeek

I was about to say it would be easier to do it the way suggested in some of those other posts, then I noticed you had put -FileOrder -FileName in there.  Very smart.  The equivalent of Tail 1 as suggested in that thread.  All you need now is to figure out the EndDir() function.  See under the -if option and search on these forums.  I haven't taken time to figure it out myself, so I can't really help but I think you may only need to add and EndDir() to the -if statement.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Luuk2005

Very many thanks StarGeek!
This EndDir() is to be very useful, but -FileOrder seems to be prejudice against it and overrides?
exiftool -q -r -ext jpg -FileOrder -FileName -if "$Filename =~ /_\d{3}\.(?i)jpe?g$$/ and EndDir()" -TESTname"<${filename;s/(.*_)\d+(.*)/$1\999$2/}" .

'./bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_012.jpg' --> './bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_999.jpg'
Warning: File './bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_999.jpg' would exist - ./bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_011.jpg
Warning: File './bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_999.jpg' would exist - ./bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_010.jpg
Warning: File './bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_999.jpg' would exist - ./bb/.............................._009.jpg
Warning: File './bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_999.jpg' would exist - ./bb/..............................._etc.jpg

So then I remove '-FileOrder AnyTagName', and EndDir() conducts with 1st-filename match!

exiftool -q -r -ext jpg -if "$Filename =~ /_\d{3}\.(?i)jpe?g$$/ and EndDir()" -TESTname"<${filename;s/(.*_)\d+(.*)/$1\999$2/}" .

'./bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_001.jpg' --> './bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_999
EndDir called - ./bb/b39_1642_0_0_88_001.jpg

Can it be true that EndDir() and -FileOrder is not compatible??
Lucky Im thinking it not matters in this case, except for the speed.. Because if all files are SameText_### anyway, then -r is not be a problem, since s/// just creates duplicate name and were not using the %c anyway.. Thanks again!

StarGeek

Quote from: Luuk2005 on October 30, 2020, 02:40:18 PM
Can it be true that EndDir() and -FileOrder is not compatible??

I think Phil will have to check on this.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Luuk2005

Its not to be priority, because already there is the slower solution. Even if its a few minutes, this is still many worlds better than the other ways so far. But its unfortunate I make the title 'Conduct only one file per folder', because really it should say 'Conduct only the last Name_### per folder' but Im not seeing the way to change it.

Phil Harvey

Right.  EndDIr() doesn't currently work with -fileorder.  I'll see about fixing this.  Thanks for pointing this out.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Ooops.  This can't be fixed.

I should have thought of this:  The -fileOrder option spans directories, so the EndDir() has no meaning when applied to the result of -fileOrder (ie. the files are processed in the sort order, and not by directories).

I will document this.

- Phil

Edit:  Maybe there is hope.  I just thought of a way this could work.  I'll look into it.  I think this may be a useful change if I can do it.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I've patched ExifTool 12.11 (to be release probably next week) so the EndDir() function will work in combination with -fileOrder.

It will also now work if files are specified separately on the command line.  eg)

exiftool -fileorder filename -if "$filename eq 'b.jpg' and EndDir(); 1" dir2/d.jpg dir1/c.jpg dir1/a.jpg dir1/b.jpg

Will process dir1/a.jpg, dir1/b.jpg and dir2/d.jpg, in that order.

- Phil