Insta360 .insv gps speed delay

Started by Menaboi, July 14, 2023, 06:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menaboi

Using speed stats or map and such, has a 2-3s delay, when using iPhone to relay GPS data, on the Insta360 camera.
I was wondering is there anyway using exiftool, that you can correct for delay in the Insta360 file's metadata?

Applications like "Telemetry Overlay" can do it but can't apply the correction to original recording, and paying 140eur to make up for 2-3s delay really sux.
Maybe someone can explain how to do it manually with a hex edittor, I just hint me in the right way, I'm a programmer but quite lost at how Insta360 stores gps data.
Btw extracting the Insta360's gps data as a GPX file, will loose important data for meassuring the speed correctly, idk what data though, maybe some gyroscopic data?

StarGeek

Quote from: Menaboi on July 14, 2023, 06:24:51 PMI was wondering is there anyway using exiftool, that you can correct for delay in the Insta360 file's metadata?

No, but you can extract the data to a geotrack such as a GPX and I'm sure there are freely available programs/apps that could adjust the track.

QuoteApplications like "Telemetry Overlay" can do it but can't apply the correction to original recording,

The problem is that there isn't a standard for embedding such data in a video file and every company does it differently, sometimes differing between same models from the same company.

Checking under Quicktime stream tags, exiftool currently knows 66 different ways that gps data can be embedded in a video file. And I think there are a dozen or so other formats which haven't yet been decoded. So it would be a extremely difficult task to be able to edit and re-embed such data with so many different formats.

QuoteI'm a programmer but quite lost at how Insta360 stores gps data.

The best that can be offered is to take a look at the exiftool source code to see how exiftool extracts the data.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Actually, there is a standard created by Google for timed GPS in MP4 videos, but so far it hasn't gained much traction except in the Google world.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  I think I even posted about that once.

I don't recall off hand ever finding any program to write it, though.  I'll have to look into it again.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Menaboi

Quote from: StarGeek on July 14, 2023, 07:06:39 PM
Quote from: Menaboi on July 14, 2023, 06:24:51 PMI was wondering is there anyway using exiftool, that you can correct for delay in the Insta360 file's metadata?

No, but you can extract the data to a geotrack such as a GPX and I'm sure there are freely available programs/apps that could adjust the track.

QuoteApplications like "Telemetry Overlay" can do it but can't apply the correction to original recording,

The problem is that there isn't a standard for embedding such data in a video file and every company does it differently, sometimes differing between same models from the same company.

Checking under Quicktime stream tags, exiftool currently knows 66 different ways that gps data can be embedded in a video file. And I think there are a dozen or so other formats which haven't yet been decoded. So it would be a extremely difficult task to be able to edit and re-embed such data with so many different formats.

QuoteI'm a programmer but quite lost at how Insta360 stores gps data.

The best that can be offered is to take a look at the exiftool source code to see how exiftool extracts the data.

Like said extracting GPX won't work already tried, it looses some information and cant calculate speed correctly anymore. But thanks for clarifying.

I guess I'll check up the source or buy Telemetry Overlay.