Can you copy metadata from sidecar xmp to embedded metadata in JPG & TIF files?

Started by rex176, November 15, 2020, 09:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex176

Here is my situation and what I'm trying to accomplish:

- Was using Lightroom. Keyworded and added location info to JPG, TIF and proprietary raw files (NEF, RAF)

- Switched to Capture One. Capture One recognized all metadata. Updated keywords and location info for many files, including JPG and TIF.

- Used Capture One "Sync metadata" to create an XMP sidecar file for every image file. (Capture One cannot write embedded metadata.)

- Testing Photo Mechanic 6 Plus as an option for quickly browsing my 35,000+ images.

The issue is that Photo Mechanic reads sidecar XMP only for proprietary raw files. For JPG and TIF, Photo Mechanic only reads the metadata embedded in the image file. But, as noted above, Capture One won't write embedded metadata.

What I'd like to do with the jpg and tif files, copy the metadata from the XMP sidecar file into the embedded metadata of the image.

I've looked through the documentation and examples and all I can find is copying metadata from one image file to another image file.

Is what I want to do possible? Can I specify the XMP file as the source, rather than an image file?

Thanks.

StarGeek

See Example #15 on the Metadata Sidecar Files page.  That example assumes that the base name is the same and that the xmp files are in the same directory as the main files.  You would repeat the -ext (extension) option for each filetype or you could use --ext xmp (two hyphens), to process all file types excluding XMP files, because you don't want to waste time copying the XMP files into the same file.

This command creates backup files.  Add -Overwrite_Original to suppress the creation of backup files.  Add -r to recurse into subdirectories.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).