Exiftool reporting audio as video.

Started by abdel@transloadit.com, April 01, 2021, 06:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abdel@transloadit.com

I have an audio file that is being reported as video by ExifTool. Not sure what's wrong with the file that is causing this, and if there's a way to fix it.

I have attached the file to this thread. I am using the 12.22 version which is the latest.

Phil Harvey

This file has a MajorBrand of "iso6", which ExifTool doesn't recognize.  In fact, with a bit of Googling, I see there are also "iso3", "iso4" and "iso5" brands.  If these brands related to specific file contents (ie. if "iso6" should always be an M4A file), then I could identify these properly.  Other than this possibility, the container packages are all identical to MP4.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I did some more googling, and I'm pretty sure that the "iso6" brand may also be used for a video file.

So the only way to distinguish this as an audio file is to look at the content of the tracks and check to see if there is a video program or not.  I'll add this feature to ExifTool 12.23, which should be available later today.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).