Collection of Privacy Sensitive Tags

Started by arbadas, April 06, 2021, 10:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbadas

I would be very keen to know if someone had tipps on what Tags to remove for Privacy purposes.
The Exact Tag Names would be cool.

StarGeek

That's a very broad question.  Has metadata been added to the file?  For example, has facial recognition been run on it and the face regions embedded?  Has it been tagged with keywords regarding the image?  Has description data been added?

The easiest, most obvious way to be completely sure is to simply strip away all the metadata with
exiftool -All:All= /path/to/files/
(though you don't want to run that on RAW file types as it will permanently destroy them).

Some obvious specifics would be GPS coordinates and camera and lens serial numbers
exiftool -GPS*= -*Serial*= /path/to/files/

To remove face regions, you would add
-XMP-acdsee-rs:all= -XMP-mwg-rs:all= -XMP-MP:all= -PersonInImage=

Time related data wouldn't necessarily be personally identifiable but some might want to remove that as well.
-Time:all=

That's all I can think of atm.  Anything else would depend on the data added.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Take a look at the available metadata,

exiftool -a -G -s FILE

and delete whatever is sensitive for you.

(I assume we are talking about JPG images here.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

arbadas

Thank you StarGeek and Phil Harvey for your answers.
The GPS Tags and Face regions is a great starting point for me.
Its an automated script so I cannot do it on a case by case basis as phil suggested.
It seems that most people are doing an all or nothing approach when removing tags for privacy purposes.
But anyways thanks a lot
stephan