Where to document macro magnification?

Started by stefferber, May 01, 2021, 05:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefferber

Hello,

thx Phil & friends for your excellent work on ExifTool ;)

I do a lot of http://www.dieferbers.de/wordpress/2020/06/13/mirrorless-macro-with-nikon-z7-nikon-pb-6-bellowsmacro
1) Nikkor 105 micro up to 1:1 magnification
2) Nikon bellows and 50mm with  1:1 up to 1:4.4 magnification
3) Laowa ultra macro with 1:2.5 up to 1:5.0 magnification

For 2) and 3) I use ExifTool to add missing data as there is no data transmission to my Nikon Z7 + FTZ hopefully correct e.g.

exiftool -FocalLength="50" -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat="50" -LensType="MF" -Lens="50mm f/1.8 reversed on Nikon PB-6" -LensInfo="50mm f/1.8" -LensMake="NIKON" -LensModel="NIKKOR AF 50mm f/1.8D" -LensID#=118 -LensSerialNumber="2046522" <filename>

exiftool -Lens="Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro" -LensInfo="Laowa 25mm f/2.8 " -LensMake="Venus" -LensModel="Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro" -LensType="MF" -FocalLength="25" -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat="25" -LensSerialNumber="0815" <filename>

And now to my question: Where can I document the macro magnification from 1.0 to 5.0 in the .NEF file?

stefferber

Looks nobody had this problem before. I will do

exiftool -Description="magnification 1:5.0" <filename>

therefore use XMP:Description tag with results in

$ exiftool -Description="magnification 1:5.0" 2021-05-01_13-50-57__DSC7937.NEF
$ exiftool -a -G1 -s 2021-05-01_13-50-57__DSC7937.NEF | grep magnification
[XMP-dc]        Description                     : magnification 1:5.0

This shows up in Adobe Lightroom in German as "Bildunterschrift" and in English as "Caption" and in Adobe Photoshop  in German as "Beschreibung"

Do you have any better ideas?

StarGeek

Using HierarchicalSubject would also be a possibility, IMO.  Something like Magnification|1:5.0, or ever more divisions if needed.  This would allow Lightroom to group matching magnifications and they would appear under Keywords.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

stefferber

Thx @StarGeek

I tried to find good description in Lightroom or exiftool about HierarchicalSubject but I could not find much. Do you have a hint?

StarGeek

You would construct the hierarchical with each level separated by pipe characters, as the example I gave above.  I can't help much with Lightroom as my copy is very old.  But here's how it ends up looking in Imatch.

I set two images with
exiftool -HierarchicalSubject="Magnification|1:4.0" /path/to/files/
and one image with 
exiftool -HierarchicalSubject="Magnification|1:5.0" /path/to/files/

You might have to play with LR to figure out how to get it to work.  Try setting a hierarchical keyword in LR and then examine the file afterwards with exiftool (see FAQ #3).
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).