interruption after 14 files

Started by n0rm4n, June 11, 2021, 03:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luuk2005

The attached args-file did run perfectly for me, so updating all 44 images inside of the keywords folder.
Since you typed from J:\HTDOCS\keywords, Im guessing the files are at J:\HTDOCS\keywords\keywords\ ?
So my only guess is maybe its something about the J-drive, or the images themselves????
Windows8.1-64bit,  exiftool-v12.84(standalone),  sed-v4.0.7

Phil Harvey

I can see nothing wrong with your config file or the way you are running exiftool.  So I'm stumped. :(

The only other idea I have is that maybe it hits some memory limitation on your system.  If this happens, it shouldn't hang, but could get very, very slow.  Did you try leaving it for a long time (say 20 minutes) to see if it eventually processes the next file?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

n0rm4n

Hi Phil,

tried as you asked. over 20 minutes but the shell shows me the same first 16 photos.
About memory, my pc has 64GB of ram and, during this task, only 8,2 GB used. Cpu is i7 6700k.

If you want to see more I can send you my teamviewer ID and you can do a test from remote.

Phil Harvey

At this point, I'm stumped.  The only other thing I can suggest is to try the alternate ExifTool Windows package to see if that makes any difference.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

n0rm4n

with the package is exactly the same. Any other idea?

Phil Harvey

Wow.  This is a weird problem.

The only thing I can think of is that you said 14 files in the subject, and 16 files later on.  What changed?  Are the same number of files processed when you add the -v3 option.  How about when all files are processed in the same -execute?  Still exactly 16 processed?

- Phil

Luuk2005

If all of the posted arg-files created this same trouble, then it sounds like someting on the J-drive not likes to read all of the args-file?
So maybe after x-characters, it stops giving the args-file to exiftool? or inserts a bad-character? or limits applications to x-amount of writes????
My first experiment would be changing all of the tag-values to "something very, very, very, long with at least 100-characters"

So then, if exiftool did write to less files before stopping, you could know its something about the x-characters guess.
Another experiment could be slowly incrementing using how many -execute is used, but really this part should not matter.
Also, this should not help either, but I would try adding -v0 on the commandline, just to see if there was any difference. 
Windows8.1-64bit,  exiftool-v12.84(standalone),  sed-v4.0.7